Woodworking at Estrella War

  • John LaTorre
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
      Greetings, all!

      This message is specifically for those who are planning to attend the SCA's
      Estrella War in Arizona this coming February. It is also posted on similar
      lists; please forgive the cross-posting should you run into it again.

      I expect to be camping in the Demo Area again this year, and will be
      bringing my workbench and such tools as I normally bring to events (saw,
      plane, clamps, chisels, mallets, etc.). I hereby invite all woodworkers to
      join me in this endeavor, and to bring their own tools and equipment, and
      such projects as they would like to work on during the event. I would hope
      that by sharing tools and ideas, we could put on a better demo than I alone
      could do, and that we could exchange ideas and generally have fun making
      wood chips and sawdust.

      I'll also be teaching classes in sharpening and carving, either at the demo
      center or at the collegium area as part of the Arts & Sciences (which were
      very close together in previous years, so it shouldn't make too much
      difference where the class is to be held).

      If you are interested in participating, please email me or telephone me at
      (916) 457-2321 by the end of the year. Let me know what sort of equipment
      you might be bringing, and what you'd like to work on. I need your input,
      because and the demo center autocrat would like to know how much area we'll
      be needing to put under canvas.

      Happy woodworking!

      Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)
    • John LaTorre
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
        Greetings, all!

        Once again, I'll be at the Period Encampment/Demo Center at Estrella
        War, doing woodworking on-site. So far, I've made a bunch of stools, a
        Mastermyr-style box, and an octave mandolin at various SCA events over
        the years, all with hand tools. I'm kind of stuck for ideas this year,
        and would appreciate any suggestions for a project that I could
        accomplish in two or three days using hand tools only. I may make a
        simple musical instrument like a lyre, or perhaps another box or two.

        Also, as usual, I'm inviting any woodworkers to participate with me.
        Bring along a project of your own, and you can use my workbench and
        tools (consisting of a frame saw, a wooden plane, a brace and several
        bits, chisels, carving knives, clamps, and sharpening tools, among other
        things). In years past, people have brought spring lathes to play with,
        and used my tools to do finish projects like banner stands, rope beds,
        and toys. So let's keep the party going! I only ask that you let me know
        ahead of time, so I know what size sunshade to bring to ebssure we have
        room for all.

        YIS,

        Johann von Drachenfels

        P.S I'm posting this missive on other lists as well, so please forgive
        me if you've read this before.
      • Eric
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
          Johann,

          I'm looking forward to being your neighbor again, and will be
          bringing some sort of woodworking project for the event, although
          like you, I haven't figured out what to do yet, maybe a knock-down
          bench.

          Be seeing you there,
          Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
          Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, John LaTorre <jlatorre@...>
          wrote:

          > Greetings, all!
          >
          > Once again, I'll be at the Period Encampment/Demo Center at
          Estrella
          > War, doing woodworking on-site. So far, I've made a bunch of
          stools, a
          > Mastermyr-style box, and an octave mandolin at various SCA events
          over
          > the years, all with hand tools. I'm kind of stuck for ideas this
          year,
          > and would appreciate any suggestions for a project that I could
          > accomplish in two or three days using hand tools only. I may make
          > simple musical instrument like a lyre, or perhaps another box or
          two.

          > Also, as usual, I'm inviting any woodworkers to participate with
          me.
          > Bring along a project of your own, and you can use my workbench
          and
          > tools (consisting of a frame saw, a wooden plane, a brace and
          several
          > bits, chisels, carving knives, clamps, and sharpening tools, among
          other
          > things). In years past, people have brought spring lathes to play
          with,
          > and used my tools to do finish projects like banner stands, rope
          beds,
          > and toys. So let's keep the party going! I only ask that you let
          me know
          > ahead of time, so I know what size sunshade to bring to ebssure we
          have
          > room for all.
          >
          > YIS,
          >
          > Johann von Drachenfels
          >
          > P.S I'm posting this missive on other lists as well, so please
          forgive
          > me if you've read this before.

        • John LaTorre
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2009
            Greetings, all!

            The Old German Woodshop will return to Estrella War this year. I'll be
            in the Period Demo area. I'll be working on three projects: a
            collapsible stool, a rebec, and some six-board chests.

            Regarding the latter, HRL Wolfgang and I ll also be teaching a class on
            making these chests (which also serve as stools). It will be a hands-o
            class, and the student will have a finished chest to take home with him
            or her. (Finished as in joinery completed; you'll have to the apply the
            varnish or oil or milk paint or whatever yourself when you get home.)

            I'm buying materials for six students. If a larger number than that
            actually make contact with me to tell me they're interested in taking
            the class, I'll buy more, because I don't want to disappoint anybody.
            But you have to let me know, or otherwise take your chances. Please
            email me off-list if you're interested. The class is tentatively
            scheduled for Friday, from one to six, but if you can't be there but
            still want to take the class, let me know (again off-list) and we'll
            work something out.

            I'll also be teaching a class on using and sharpening scrapers. I'll be
            teaching this class twice, on Thursday and Saturday.

            Finally, I'll be repeating the "Toward a (More) Period Encampment" I've
            taught at Estrella and Pennsic Wars in the past. If anybody wants to
            help me teach this (Hey, Terafan, I'm talkin' to YOU), please let me know.

            --Freiherr Johann von Drachenfels
            Kingdom of the West
          • Karl Christoffers
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
              Hello the list, Greetings Master Johann,

              I am curious about the details of the hands-on chest class. I would have asked this question off-list, but I thought the answers would be generally useful across the SCA. So,

              What kit of tools do you provide to the students? Any bench? What preliminary work do you do on the stock before the class begins? What has been the general level of knowledge/skill you find in the students? Are there any salient lessons (big *do's* or *don't's*) you could pass on to someone who wants to put on a similar class?

              -Malcolm macGregor, An Tir

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009
                Malcolm MacGregor wrote:

                > Hello the list, Greetings Master Johann,
                >
                > I am curious about the details of the hands-on chest class. I would have asked this question off-list, but I thought the answers would be generally useful across the SCA. So,
                >
                > What kit of tools do you provide to the students? Any bench? What preliminary work do you do on the stock before the class begins? What has been the general level of knowledge/skill you find in the students? Are there any salient lessons (big *do's* or *don't's*) you could pass on to someone who wants to put on a similar class?

                What we'll be doing is making chests that conform closely to the ones
                described on this link:

                http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/chest4simple.pdf

                I'll let the students decide whether to build the top as described with
                hinges or make the top completely removable.

                The panels will probably be pre-cut to their working lengths, to make
                transport easier. The students will be trimming the panels, removing the
                wood sections that form the joint using saws and such, drilling the
                holes for the dowels (screws may also be provided), and assembling the
                chest with aforesaid dowels, screws, and glue. Edges will be rounded,
                and so on. We won't provide finishing materials such as paint or
                varnish, because when we tried that with the psaltery class two years
                ago, some wet weather moved in and the finishes took forever to dry. So
                we'll leave it up to you to apply the finish of your choice when you get
                home.

                We'll have two workbenches (my medieval bench and a "Workmate" clone)
                and provide the necessary glue, drills, clamps and saws and such.

                I don't expect the student to have a great deal of woodworking skill,
                only the ability to saw a reasonably straight line and a healthy respect
                for sharp things. As for salient advice, maybe you'd better ask me that
                after the class, not before! All I can say now, based on similar classes
                I've taught, is that people learn by doing, people learn at various
                rates, and that instructors should be patient. Above all, have fun!

                --Johann von Drachenfels
                West Kingdom
              • John LaTorre
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
                  Greetings (and apologies in advance for the cross-posting)!

                  This is to let you know that I'll be bringing my wood shop to the
                  Estrella War Period Demo Area. Please come by to look or, even better,
                  help me make wood chips and shavings and sawdust. I'll have table space
                  and my workbench for you to use, as well as enough tools to actually
                  make something. You bring your tools and wood and skills, and we'll have
                  a blast.

                  I haven't decided exactly what projects I'm bringing, but they will
                  probably include a six-board box and the rebec (period fiddle) that I've
                  been working on for some time now.

                  For those who don't know, the Estrella War is held near Phoenix,
                  Arizona, and this year it will take place at the end of March.

                  I'll also be teaching two classes: one is a tentmaking seminar, and the
                  other is an introduction to making and using period vegetable oil lamps,
                  where if you bring a vessel or two (like a jelly jar), you can walk out
                  with a functional lamp. Details are on the Estrella Web site.

                  Johann von Drachenfels
                  West Kingdom
                • leaking pen

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
                      Milord Johann--you make me (for the first time in my life!) wish I lived
                      near Phoenix!

                      I see you're based in the West--any chance of getting you up to AnTir
                      events with your presentations and classes? I've very much enjoyed the
                      working-craft areas in events I've attended, and now bring a _period_
                      blacksmith shop to add to them. Alessaundre and some others already bring
                      a period woodshop to Egils Tourney in Adiantum, but the more the better.

                      Ulfhedinn
                    • Royce
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012

                        Seconded…

                        The wife and I decided on Pennsic this year instead of Estrella…

                        Johann, If you ever decide to do anything down in Caid, I would be very interested.

                        Bercilak

                        Starkhafn, Caid.