Re: [medievalsawdust] So what are folks working on?

  • Brian D. Murphy
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 9, 2003
      My main project right now is putting together my woodworking shop itself.  I've started work in my unfinished basement, which is currently just kind of a dark hole under the house.  There isn't even any lighting.  It will be a nice space once finished, though.  The first thing I had to do was break out the reciprocating saw and cut apart an old furnace to get it out of there.  Then I shoveled literally a century's worth of accumulated gunk off the floor and out the window.  A couple of days ago, I ripped out the old staircase entirely (it was quite rotten), so now I have to climb a ladder to get down there.  I'm in the middle of rebuilding the staircase from scratch, which is a bit tricky because it's got a funky bend to it.  Once that's finished, I'll be replacing some bad joists, repointing some brickwork, replacing the windows, painting, running a couple of electrical circuits, hanging some lighting, building a workbench...and so on.  Christmas finally forced me into doing this because I need a place to set up my new table saw.  That and my wife is getting tired of me running the lathe in the spare bedroom and tracking wood shavings all over the upstairs.  She'll change her tune when I finally get around to making her new kitchen cabinets...

      Bran

      Gee, quiet around here lately...those most be some impressive New Years
      hangovers...

      This is what I'm up to, yet another triangle backstool (preparation for
      tackling a proper turned triangle chair -- lots and lots of non-right-angle
      mortises).

      http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/projects/current.html

      So what are the rest of you up to?

      Regards,

      Thomas
      (Fin)

      Tom Rettie                           tom@...
      http://www.his.com/~tom/index.html
    • Don Bowen
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 9, 2003
        At 1/9/2003, you wrote:
        http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/projects/current.html

        So what are the rest of you up to?

        Not necessarily medieval but will be a big help when I do a table after the one shown by Roy Underhill.

        http://pub88.ezboard.com/ftheneotribalmetalsmithsfrm22.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

        Don Bowen                          donb@...
        Senior Software Engineer      Valley Center, CA
      • jrwinkler@msn.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 10, 2003
          Well… less'ee…  I've been teaching one of the local guys around here some of the gentle art of woodturning, helped another fellow to "reverse engineer" a sheet music chest (modern construction…  they wanted $360 for it in the cateloge… my friend goes, "Hey, we could probably make it for less than that."…  He was correct.  The prototype came in for about $50.00… of course we now have to get the 'nice' woods for the next three we're gonna build… but…  )… and..  doing a little woodturning myself.  The guy who is learning the art found a place where they do raw sawing around here…  it turns out that there are often chunks with blemishes or other things that they aren't happy with and throw on the scrap pile.   Two days ago my friend came by with a chunk of walnut he wanted sawed up into turning blanks…  it was a chunk of walnut (green) 4" thick by 12+" wide by a bit over 3 feet long…  and he got the whole thing for… and I ain't kidding… $5.00!!!!   [For cutting it up for him and the instruction he gifted me with two of the bowl blanks… 8" rounds x 4" thick…  and two goblet blanks about 4"x4"x7"…  so… I've been having way too much fun with my lathe for the last couple days…]

          Oh… Conal…  a single lucit… or a double lucit???

          … and then there as the kitchen cabinet project I worked on for a friend…  tear out the old… put in new…  that took two days… nothing goes as planed in a 150 +/- year old house…

          But… other than the above…  the new year has been pretty boring and laid back…

          Hey Thomas… I really like your chair project…  I may have to give that a shot myself.  I've been looking at them for some time but that hasn't hit my project sheets yet…  and the web page is cool…  nicely done.  Can't wait to see the finished chair and the plans for it…

          Chas.

        • tom@his.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 10, 2003
            > Hey Thomas. I really like your chair project. I may have to give that a
            sh> ot myself. I've been looking at them for some time but that hasn't hit my
            > project sheets yet. and the web page is cool. nicely done. Can't wait
            to> see the finished chair and the plans for it.

            I'll share a secret: turned stools and chairs are really easy once you get the
            hang of it. Until the 16th century, most European turned furniture had really
            simple profiles, mostly just cylinders with a few decorative rings. You can do
            a stool with two or three tools, and boring the mortises is really the only
            part that can get tricky. I noticed last Pennsic that some of the merchants
            have started to carry turned stools (overpriced, in my opinion), so maybe their
            popularity will rise. I'm particularly fond of the triangular pieces because
            they fell out of fashion in the 17th century, and thus clearly look different
            than modern furniture. Some of the period four-post stuff looks not much
            different than what you can find around many modern kitchen tables.

            Tom
            R.

            This message was sent from webmail.his.com.
            http://www.his.com/
          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 10, 2003
              > So what are the rest of you up to?

              Feeling bad for not working on anything and trying to decide if I want
              to enter A&S after I've sworn not to...

              <nasty apprentice mode on>

              For the Midrealmers, I know you can enter A&S and request commentary
              only. Can you enter and request scores only?

              <nasty apprentice mode off>

              Ulrich

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 10, 2003

                > Oh. Conal. a single lucit. or a double lucit???

                yes... both

                =====

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com