Re: [MedievalSawdust] Chip Carving

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2004

      You want relevence?  I'll give you relevence!

      No really.

      I've been practicing my chip carving.  I figured it was period woodworking I could do in the living room with the TV on.  There is less mess because the chips are relatively self contained

      I started at zero a few months ago.  I bought the requisite knives, sharpened the dickens out of the main one and had at it.

      Material I'm carving is just cheap pine offcuts.  There are knots but I don't carve on those.  These are just practice boards.  Firewood.

      I carve no particular pattern, I'm just executing the various techniques.

      Which brings me to the source of my techniques.  I bought two basic books from the 2 big authorites.  Wayne Barton and Pam Gresham.  Here is a review of both

      Bought Barton's Chip Carving Technique and Patterns first.  It got me far enough to make the simple triangle chip.  It then accelerates to more advanced techniques.  The pace may be too fast.  It didn't encourage me.  The pictures are mostly black and white with few step by step techniques after the initial ones.  But the last chapter has pictures of historical examples, including Medieval chest, so that is kinda nice.

      Gresham's Basic Chip Carving had more information for a rank beginner and easy to follow step by step instuctions.  The pictures are mostly color, and that is appreciated.  The book is larger so the pictures are bigger that way, too.  It was from her that I was inspired to knock out a few practice boards to sharpen up my technique.  It is a good suggestion.

      Even merely repeating chips over an entire board has some gratification after the board is filled.  A couple of square feet of each basic chip shape and I will feel more than confident to tackle period type decoration at the end.  Plus, it's kinda fun.  It feels like it does when you make chainmail.  Just mindless repetitive tasks that in the end produces a nice result.

      It was Pam's book and a reminder about chainmail that got me really productive.  I've done a board a week.  Approximate surface area 2 square feet when you do both sides.

      I'd buy both books again, but if you only want one initially get Pam's first to learn.  Get Waynes after for his font patterns and additional pattern ideas.

      IMHO, of course.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD