Re: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 563

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 13, 2004
      >You may never have encountered case hardening in
      >unequally dried wood. This usually means the outside
      >is drier than the inside [or vice versa] and the wood
      >can bend out from the kerf or close it entirely.

      Isn't this only really a problem in wood that was
      dried overly agressivly? If you sticker/stack and air
      dry shouldn't case hardening never rear it's ugly
      head? (Assuming you air dry and not air let sit around
      not lone enough so that it's still plenty wet on the
      inside.)

      Avery
    • Avery Austringer
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 13, 2004
        >How sweet! Except, I never go to court. The King
        >never would have caught me when I was new, nor now.

        I haven't been following this, so, if you're happy,
        great. I'm happy you're happy.

        If your complaining, well, if you live in the woods in
        a secret underground bunker you're not going to get a
        lot of birthday cards.

        Avery
      • Don Bowen
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 13, 2004
          At 10/13/2004, you wrote:
          >You may never have encountered case hardening in
          >unequally dried wood. This usually means the outside
          >is drier than the inside [or vice versa] and the wood
          >can bend out from the kerf or close it entirely.

          Isn't this only really a problem in wood that was
          dried overly agressivly?  If you sticker/stack and air
          dry shouldn't case hardening never rear it's ugly
          head? (Assuming you air dry and not air let sit around
          not lone enough so that it's still plenty wet on the
          inside.)

          Not case hardening but a similar problem can occur in reaction wood.  Reaction wood is wood that has internal stresses, either from growth under stress or drying.  Reaction wood can have a very difficult but interesting grain pattern.

          Don Bowen
          Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
          Valley Center, CA             http://www.braingarage.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 13, 2004
            > >How sweet! Except, I never go to court. The King
            > >never would have caught me when I was new, nor now.

            You don't go to court... why not?

            Just curious....

            =====
            Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
            Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

            http://vote.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 13, 2004
              however it happens, having the wood
              clamp itself back together in the
              middle of a cut is a bad thing

              Last time it was a problem for me
              it was pine, and a bandsaw. Had to
              ruin tyhe piece to get it off the saw.

              --- Don Bowen <don.bowen@...> wrote:

              > At 10/13/2004, you wrote:
              > > >You may never have encountered case hardening in
              > > >unequally dried wood. This usually means the
              > outside
              > > >is drier than the inside [or vice versa] and the
              > wood
              > > >can bend out from the kerf or close it entirely.
              > >
              > >Isn't this only really a problem in wood that was
              > >dried overly agressivly? If you sticker/stack and
              > air
              > >dry shouldn't case hardening never rear it's ugly
              > >head? (Assuming you air dry and not air let sit
              > around
              > >not lone enough so that it's still plenty wet on
              > the
              > >inside.)
              >
              > Not case hardening but a similar problem can occur
              > in reaction
              > wood. Reaction wood is wood that has internal
              > stresses, either from growth
              > under stress or drying. Reaction wood can have a
              > very difficult but
              > interesting grain pattern.
              >
              > Don Bowen
              > Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
              > Valley Center, CA
              > http://www.braingarage.com

              =====
              Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

              http://vote.yahoo.com
            • C N Schwartz
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 13, 2004
                I am not a stick jock.

                I am not active in my local shire. If anything I am more active with
                Kingdom of the Middle, a barony called Flaming Griffon or even Misty
                Highland (Aethelmarcsamahootsits kingdom) than I am with Atlantia.

                I got interested in SCA via friends that were very active but had grown
                beyond the politics to a more laid back attitude. We have a very spiffy
                camp and many friends, but they have no desire to go back to autocratting or
                sensechalling, nor do I have a desire to start.

                I stay interested in the SCA for the historic aspect and the A&S interest
                (hence my presence here). I have many individual friends, but whenever I am
                exposed to the peculiar brand of politics in all levels of the SCA I am just
                bemused by it, and slightly repulsed.

                So I don't see the entertainment value for me to 'do' court.