Re: wooden scabbard

  • smith_maybe
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2004
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hook <rhook@m...>
      wrote:
      > > Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 03:03:40 -0000
      > > From: "Lady Isabella La Red" <lady_isabella_la_red@y...>
      > > Subject: wooden scabbard
      > >
      > > Hi all, well I finally finished my sword and iM totally thrilled
      but
      > > now I have no idea how to or where to start on making my wooden
      > > scabbard. Can some please direct me to a how to web site or give
      me
      > > some tips.
      > > Ps since I joined this group I have made a stringed medieval
      double
      > > bed which the kids love, a chair that worked out ok until two of
      us
      > > fooled around on it, details not needed im sure. and Im working
      on a
      > > shrews fiddle and another set of stocks. Not bad for a Lady ah.
      > > After my scabbard and NAAMA are finished I hope to start on a
      thrown
      > > seat.
      >
      > Take two pieces of wood 3-5 mm thick. shape them to a taper, carve
      out
      > the channel in both pieces to fit your sword, leaving about 3-5 mm
      each
      > side of the channel. glue the two halves together. Shape outside
      round
      > with a spokeshave. That's how I do it, anyway.
      > ----
      > "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate" - William of Occam.
      >
      > mailto: rhook@m...
      > http://homepage.mac.com/rhook (source PGP signature from here)
      > Robert Hook
      > Brisbane, Qld, Australia

      The easyest wood to use is Lime, sometimes called Basswood. It carves
      very easily. It's sold by wood carver suppliers. If you plan to cover
      it with leather you need veg tanned. Cut a piece big enough to wrap
      right around it with about 1 in overlap. Wrap the scabbard in
      clingfilm (maybe called something like " food wrap " in the US?)to
      protect it. Soak the leather in warm water for about half an hour.
      Wrap it around the scabbard wet. Hold it in place with a lot of
      little clamps (I buy mine from discount shops at 4 for £1). It will
      dry to shape, that's why it has to be veg tanned. Sew it, wet or dry
      with linen thread, using saddlers stitch. You will need an awl, two
      saddlers needles & a palm (or you could use a pair of pliers).Trim
      the seam with a sharp knife. Rub down the raw edges with a bone
      folder or something like the back of a plastic toothbrush.The cling
      film is to protect the wood from the wet leather. You sew the leather
      in place on the scabbard, then obviously you remove it, remove the
      clingfilm & put the leather back in place.If you get it nice & tight
      it should stay put if it doesn't use a bit of white wood glue.

      I usually finish my leatherwork with a dark stain I buy from shoe
      repair shops. Final finish is dark brown shoe polish if you want a
      glossy finish or harness dressing (from a horse riding supppliers
      shop) if you want a matt finish.