RE: [MedievalSawdust] Books on Medieval Furniture

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
      Jeeze, what are you paying for spalted maple??? I pay about $1.40 a board
      foot kiln dried or about 25 cents green from the mill. I am planing on
      making a lot of stuff with splated maple at those prices. Heck, if it
      sucks, send me the book, and I'll send you some maple........ ; ) Where
      do you live? If there are any local sawyers, when ever they cut soft maple
      there is about 10-30% that they consider trash, and it's all spalted, curly
      or bird's eye. They will darn near give it to you around here. I am
      looking for a big enough property to have stacks of drying wood.

      --
      In service to the dream,

      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      Privateer to the Midrealm

      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      (Take time to dance in the rain)

      Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
        >Has anyone read English Medieval Furniture and Woodwork, by Charles
        >Tracy?

        Yes, I have it.

        It consists of a catalogue of the V&A collection. A lot of it is
        architectural woodwork from various churches. ("The strength of the
        collection undoubtedly lies in the fragments of ecclesiastical
        woodwork.") Very little domestic furniture ("Understandably, complete
        specimens of medieval domestic furniture are few."), though there is a good
        selection of chests, including clamped-front, boarded, and panelled
        types. Probably the coolest thing in the book is a 14th c. desk/book
        cupboard. There are also a couple of livery cupboards, one framed chair,
        a side- table or buffet, a trestle table and matching bench, a few benches
        and stools, and some bed-posts; all from the 16th c. The entire domestic
        furniture section consists of 32 pages.

        Most entries are illustrated with one good B&W photograph; a few have
        additional photos of details, and there are also photos of objects not in
        the collection to illustrate the author's interpretations as to dating or
        provenance. Text descriptions are usually brief, except for a few special
        objects. One good thing is that the dimensions are given for each object.,
        though it would have been nice to have more details (lumber sections, for
        example - as in the wonderful Johnston book on 13th c. chests).

        A really great resource if you are interested in Gothic carving; nearly all
        the objects illustrated are carved, many quite magnificent.

        The ten-page Introduction discusses the collection and its context; not
        much in there of interest to the re-creator. There is some helpful
        information in the object descriptions, but not a lot.

        I have difficulty recommending this book. On the one hand, it is
        attractive for the hundreds of clear B&W photos and its devotion to the
        late medieval period. On the other, it is very expensive and 85% of it is
        architectural material.

        If you already have Chinnery and Windish-Graetz, this book is probably
        unnecessary, unless you are specifically interested in carving. If you are
        building a library of resources for medieval woodwork, this book certainly
        belongs there. If you are looking for information to help you build
        authentic reproductions, this book will help some but will also frustrate
        you. It doesn't suck, but it's not as good as one could hope for (given
        its title).

        Hope that helps. If you want more information, feel free to ask.

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works
        Furniture and Accessories
        For the Medievalist!
        http://www.albionworks.net
        http://www.albionworks.com
      • maf@gleichen.ca
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
          Not sure about that one but I reciently picked up 'English Furniture, From
          the Middle ages to Modern Times, by Margaret Macdonald'

          it's interesting, very general with a few very interesting pictures, most of
          which I've seen in other books. She assumes that since only very fancy
          furniture servived that poor people didn't have any furniture they just sat
          and slept on the floor.

          Mark/ Cered