re: hand dovetailing

  • maeryk@fast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2004
      re: Dovetailing by hand

      I have read several books on the subject, and it is not as
      complicated as it sounds.. (I have even done it a few
      times..they did not come out as nice as I would have liked..
      but I am notoriously impatient about getting things done..
      probably why most of my tools are rusting while I play with
      the lathe.. from lump to finished in 20 minutes!)

      Anyway.. I _HIGHLY_ reccomend you get ahold of, and read,
      the woodwrights books. By Roy Underhill.. all four are
      available from Amazon, I believe, and he has a very simple,
      very straightforward way of explaining what he does, and
      showing you very nicely how he did it.

      Those books, a couple of basic tools: (a plane or two, a
      spokeshave, possibly an inshave, a couple of chisels, a
      mallet, a handsaw, and if you want to work from whole trees,
      a few wedges and a sledge and axe), and you can make darn
      near anything you could want, once he shows you the
      techniques.

      Maeryk