carving update

  • Nest verch Tangwistel
    Message 1 of 57 , Oct 5, 2004
      First, thank you all for the ideas.

      Second, I didn't know how little I knew about this before I started
      looking.

      I borrowed a set of carving chisels off of my father. Wait these are
      called gouges, right? There were six of them. The blades styles consisted
      of 4 gentle curves and 2 sharp angles I then grabbed a 8"x8" piece of one
      inch thick air dried pine, and drew a quick sketch of a Tudor rose on it.
      After about 3 hours of digging away at it I ended up with something. I put
      a picture in the photo section in Nest's folder. The dark lines are not
      shadows, but discoloration in the wood.

      So now that I just waded in and started I decided to go to a store and
      look around. Boy, I could be in trouble now. I found a woodworkers store
      about 15 minutes from my work. The range of tools and wood pieces fairly
      has me staggered. They even give classes. They have 2 coming up which
      sounded interesting. One on chip carving, and one on hand made
      dovetailing. I bought a book on carving "How to carve wood" by Richard
      Butz and an 8 mm palm handled chisel. Stright edge was one of the things
      the set did not have.

      I think I have settled on carving a rather small box for my first project.
      That is all I have in mind right now.

      Again thank you all for getting me started.

      Nest

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Nest verch Tangwistel