Re: [medievalsawdust] Whuttzit?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
      --- "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...> wrote:
      > It could be the tool that holds the file when you
      > are sharping scrappers. Esp. the round type.

      I was thinking that it holds a file
      for turning up a hand saw before you
      file the individual teeth.

      How 'bout some measurements?

      =====

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
        > I was thinking that it holds a file
        > for turning up a hand saw before you
        > file the individual teeth.

        oops.... still asleep...

        make that true-ing up ( or jointing )

        from 'Old Ways of Working Wood'
        Alex W. Bealer

        First of all, the saw blade must be top-jointed, joint
        refer-ring to the evenness of the points along a
        straight line from handle to end of blade. This is
        done with a flat mill or mill bastard file held in an
        easily made block which consists of two narrow boards,
        about a foot long, nailed together along their edges
        to form a right angle. The file is placed flat on the
        inside surface of one board then the block is reversed
        so that the file rests flatly on the saw points and
        the other board in the block serves as a fence to keep
        the file horizontal. Jointing is done by merely
        running the file along the length of the blade, with
        down-ward pressure deriving only from the weight of
        file and block, until all teeth are of the same
        length.

        =====

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
          Yes it could be but it would not be used for round saws. I think the term
          is "joining the saw teeth" so they are all the same higth(sp).

          James Cunningham