Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re:mulberry was: Digest Number 554

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
      >Mulberry?
      >
      >Its YELLOW.

      Huh, coulda swore the stuff I cut down at my old place in town was
      green. But maybe the memory is finally going... been doing a lotta shellac
      finish lately, the alcohol is probably getting to me!

      Cheers,
      Colin

      =====================================
      Listen to Oak & Thorn, two hours of Celtic music
      Sundays 9-11 AM Pacific time
      www.kzyx.org
    • Adam MacDonald
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2004
        Wilhelm von Winkleried asks:

        "didn't I read somewhere in this group that mulberry was used in the middle
        east to manufacture musical instruments with??"

        You are correct - mulberry is a traditional luthier's wood in Central Asia
        and the Near East - it is particularly favored for the bodies of the
        varients of the long-necked lute. Typically, the bodies are hogged out.

        I have some pictures of such intruments here:

        http://www.temurkhanlar.com/saz_page.htm

        The second picture down shows the bodies of two different construction
        types - the one the left (described as _oyma_) is carved out of a solid
        chunk of mulberry, and has a sweet, sweet tone. The instrument on the right
        is constructed of bent staves (a more modern fashion).

        Sasha - woodworker, musician