Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re:mulberry was: Digest Number 554

  • marc adkins
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
      didn't I read somewhere in this group that mulberry was used in the middle east to manufacture musical instruments with??
      Wilhelm von Winkleried
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
        >Mulberry?
        >
        >Its YELLOW.

        Huh, coulda swore the stuff I cut down at my old place in town was
        green. But maybe the memory is finally going... been doing a lotta shellac
        finish lately, the alcohol is probably getting to me!

        Cheers,
        Colin

        =====================================
        Listen to Oak & Thorn, two hours of Celtic music
        Sundays 9-11 AM Pacific time
        www.kzyx.org
      • Adam MacDonald
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2004
          Wilhelm von Winkleried asks:

          "didn't I read somewhere in this group that mulberry was used in the middle
          east to manufacture musical instruments with??"

          You are correct - mulberry is a traditional luthier's wood in Central Asia
          and the Near East - it is particularly favored for the bodies of the
          varients of the long-necked lute. Typically, the bodies are hogged out.

          I have some pictures of such intruments here:

          http://www.temurkhanlar.com/saz_page.htm

          The second picture down shows the bodies of two different construction
          types - the one the left (described as _oyma_) is carved out of a solid
          chunk of mulberry, and has a sweet, sweet tone. The instrument on the right
          is constructed of bent staves (a more modern fashion).

          Sasha - woodworker, musician