TFSR Tools

  • smith_maybe
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      There seems to be some interest in the tools I mentioned that I have
      obtained from TFSR.

      Please see my previous post for a description of TFSR.

      I have posted a couple of pic's in a folder caled TFSR.

      Both tools are hand forged in rural Tanzania using a charcoal fired
      forge & only hand tools...ie. medievial style.

      The hand adze is forged from a Land Rover half shaft. It is 10 1/2
      in. long. The head is just under 2 1/2 in. wide. I suppose the head
      weigh's about 1 lb. The upper (outside cutting) edge of the head is
      ground as is the inside of the edge. The rest of the head still has
      the forging marks of the smith's hammer. The inside of the blade has
      very obvious hammer marks. The shaft is a modified Ash lump hammer
      handle. It came bare...I have sanded & oiled it with linseed oil.

      The side axe is 13 in. long. The cutting edge of the head is just
      over 4 1/4 in. The head weighs about 1 1/2 lb. The handle is a
      standard Hickory light axe handle. Forge marks etc. as above. The
      cutting edge of the blade has a slight curve...this is important &
      shows that the smith knew what he was doing. It was forged from a
      section of Land Rover spring. It is right handed, that is the head is
      flat on the left side & beveled on the right.

      I like these tools...they work very well. They also have for me,
      something of the true medieval flavour...they are workers tools...a
      lot of effort has been put into getting the blade shape just right.
      But little or no effort has been put into grinding out forge marks or
      prettying them up.

      They a things to shape wood with...rather than gift trade products
      designed to look good hanging on someones wall. They have been made
      by people living & working under medieval conditions...
    • marc adkins
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2004
        Interesting, Now the question is how do we here in the states get our hands on these tools. When I went to the TFSR webpage they seemed to be only interested in collecting and donating tools to Africa???
        Any assistance you can give on this will be appreciated
        Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried