Re: [medievalsawdust] Whuttzit?

  • jrwinkler@msn.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2002
      HARRUMPH!!!  Yer' no fun!!!  Winking smiley emoticon   Yep… that's what it is.  I hadn't run into it before and a friend showed it to me today… don't know how it would work with the round types… but the square scrapers work beautifully…

      Chas.

      It could be the tool that holds the file when you are sharping scrappers.  Esp. the round type.

      James Cunningham
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
        --- "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...> wrote:
        > It could be the tool that holds the file when you
        > are sharping scrappers. Esp. the round type.

        I was thinking that it holds a file
        for turning up a hand saw before you
        file the individual teeth.

        How 'bout some measurements?

        =====

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
          > I was thinking that it holds a file
          > for turning up a hand saw before you
          > file the individual teeth.

          oops.... still asleep...

          make that true-ing up ( or jointing )

          from 'Old Ways of Working Wood'
          Alex W. Bealer

          First of all, the saw blade must be top-jointed, joint
          refer-ring to the evenness of the points along a
          straight line from handle to end of blade. This is
          done with a flat mill or mill bastard file held in an
          easily made block which consists of two narrow boards,
          about a foot long, nailed together along their edges
          to form a right angle. The file is placed flat on the
          inside surface of one board then the block is reversed
          so that the file rests flatly on the saw points and
          the other board in the block serves as a fence to keep
          the file horizontal. Jointing is done by merely
          running the file along the length of the blade, with
          down-ward pressure deriving only from the weight of
          file and block, until all teeth are of the same
          length.

          =====

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
            Yes it could be but it would not be used for round saws. I think the term
            is "joining the saw teeth" so they are all the same higth(sp).

            James Cunningham