Re: [MedievalSawdust] carving 101 and wood

  • Dragano Abbruciati
    Message 1 of 57 , Oct 1, 2004
      Why, thank you!  I think that's enough information for me to figure out a use.

      W Roberts <celtwolf@...> wrote:
      Did a quick Google on sweetgum, and came up with a few hits - mainly
      along these lines:

      From  http://www.domtar.com/arbre/english/p_comer.htm
      " Although its medium quality wood is used to make furniture, it is
      primarily used for landscaping purposes."

      "Liquidambar styraciflua L.

      Hamamelidaceae -- Witch-hazel family

      Sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua), also called redgum, sapgum,
      starleaf-gum, or bilsted, is a common bottom-land species of the South
      where it grows biggest and is most abundant in the lower Mississippi
      Valley. This moderate to rapidly growing tree often pioneers in old
      fields and logged areas in the uplands and Coastal Plain and may develop
      in a nearly pure stand. Sweetgurn is one of the most important
      commercial hardwoods in the Southeast and the handsome hard wood is put
      to a great many uses, one of which is veneer for plywood. The small
      seeds are eaten by birds, squirrels, and chipmunks. It is sometimes used
      as a shade tree."  ...

      "Special Uses

      Sweetgum is used principally for lumber, veneer, plywood, slack
      cooperage, railroad ties, fuel, and pulpwood. The lumber is made into
      boxes and crates, furniture, radio-, television-, and phonograph
      cabinets, interior trim, and millwork. The veneer and plywood are used
      for boxes, pallets, crates, baskets, and interior woodwork."

      From  http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Sweetgum/sweetgum.htm
      "Florida Forest Trees

      Sweetgum  (Liquidambar styriciflua)

      The sweetgum is also known as redgum, star-leaved gum, alligator-wood,
      and gumtree. It occurs on moist to wet, acidic soils and is commonly
      found in swamps and near ponds and streams.

      Sweetgum is second in production only to oaks among hardwoods. The wood
      is used as flooring, furniture, veneers, home interiors, and other
      lumber applications. The wood is also used as paper pulp and to make
      baskets. Pioneers once peeled the bark and scraped the resin-like solid
      to produce chewing gum."

      Dragano Abbruciati wrote:

      > Thank you!

      > Sweetgum - don't know it by any other name, will have to look it up.

    • Nest verch Tangwistel
      Message 57 of 57 , Oct 5, 2004
        First, thank you all for the ideas.

        Second, I didn't know how little I knew about this before I started

        I borrowed a set of carving chisels off of my father. Wait these are
        called gouges, right? There were six of them. The blades styles consisted
        of 4 gentle curves and 2 sharp angles I then grabbed a 8"x8" piece of one
        inch thick air dried pine, and drew a quick sketch of a Tudor rose on it.
        After about 3 hours of digging away at it I ended up with something. I put
        a picture in the photo section in Nest's folder. The dark lines are not
        shadows, but discoloration in the wood.

        So now that I just waded in and started I decided to go to a store and
        look around. Boy, I could be in trouble now. I found a woodworkers store
        about 15 minutes from my work. The range of tools and wood pieces fairly
        has me staggered. They even give classes. They have 2 coming up which
        sounded interesting. One on chip carving, and one on hand made
        dovetailing. I bought a book on carving "How to carve wood" by Richard
        Butz and an 8 mm palm handled chisel. Stright edge was one of the things
        the set did not have.

        I think I have settled on carving a rather small box for my first project.
        That is all I have in mind right now.

        Again thank you all for getting me started.