Re:mulberry was: Digest Number 554

  • maeryk@fast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
      Mulberry?

      Its YELLOW. The ends of the log will look brown when they
      dry (if they ever dry.. the stuff is basically a weed with
      good PR.. and a VERY dense and wet wood when cut).

      But its bright freakin yellow when you mill it. And it has
      the neatest rays in the grain. It has a very tight dense
      interlocking grain.. I took some dried firewood and turned
      some candlesticks out of it, and even though it cracked a
      bit (stress relief in the wood, methinks) it held together
      fine.

      I have made a couple of things from it, and aside from its
      desire to check badly on you if you dont treat the ends (and
      it checks DEEP too) its a fun wood to play with.

      I really REALLY want to turn a bowl out of it.. but I'm
      running out of waht stock I had.. now I'm stuck with maple
      and cherry. hehe. "stuck".. with maple and cherry. Never
      thought I would say that!

      I'm just learning the fun of chucking up any ole piece of
      wood and taking a gouge to it, rather than paying through
      the nose for a pre-cut blank.

      Maeryk
    • Dragano Abbruciati

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
          didn't I read somewhere in this group that mulberry was used in the middle east to manufacture musical instruments with??
          Wilhelm von Winkleried

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
            >Mulberry?
            >
            >Its YELLOW.

            Huh, coulda swore the stuff I cut down at my old place in town was
            green. But maybe the memory is finally going... been doing a lotta shellac
            finish lately, the alcohol is probably getting to me!

            Cheers,
            Colin

            =====================================
            Listen to Oak & Thorn, two hours of Celtic music
            Sundays 9-11 AM Pacific time
            www.kzyx.org
          • Adam MacDonald
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2004
              Wilhelm von Winkleried asks:

              "didn't I read somewhere in this group that mulberry was used in the middle
              east to manufacture musical instruments with??"

              You are correct - mulberry is a traditional luthier's wood in Central Asia
              and the Near East - it is particularly favored for the bodies of the
              varients of the long-necked lute. Typically, the bodies are hogged out.

              I have some pictures of such intruments here:

              http://www.temurkhanlar.com/saz_page.htm

              The second picture down shows the bodies of two different construction
              types - the one the left (described as _oyma_) is carved out of a solid
              chunk of mulberry, and has a sweet, sweet tone. The instrument on the right
              is constructed of bent staves (a more modern fashion).

              Sasha - woodworker, musician