Re: [MedievalSawdust] 299 members

    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 1, 2004
      --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

      > > We just hit 299 members!
      >
      > So if I got out and come back in, do I get a prize?
      > ;)
      >
      > Ulrich

      We just hit 301!

      no, Ulrich you don't get a prize.

      =====
      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
        Has anyone read English Medieval Furniture and Woodwork, by Charles
        Tracy?

        I'm considering picking it up, but I can't find it for less than the
        cost of six board feet of spalted maple.

        And if it sucks, I rather get the maple.

        Will
      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
          Jeeze, what are you paying for spalted maple??? I pay about $1.40 a board
          foot kiln dried or about 25 cents green from the mill. I am planing on
          making a lot of stuff with splated maple at those prices. Heck, if it
          sucks, send me the book, and I'll send you some maple........ ; ) Where
          do you live? If there are any local sawyers, when ever they cut soft maple
          there is about 10-30% that they consider trash, and it's all spalted, curly
          or bird's eye. They will darn near give it to you around here. I am
          looking for a big enough property to have stacks of drying wood.

          --
          In service to the dream,

          Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
          Privateer to the Midrealm

          Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
          (Take time to dance in the rain)

          Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
            >Has anyone read English Medieval Furniture and Woodwork, by Charles
            >Tracy?

            Yes, I have it.

            It consists of a catalogue of the V&A collection. A lot of it is
            architectural woodwork from various churches. ("The strength of the
            collection undoubtedly lies in the fragments of ecclesiastical
            woodwork.") Very little domestic furniture ("Understandably, complete
            specimens of medieval domestic furniture are few."), though there is a good
            selection of chests, including clamped-front, boarded, and panelled
            types. Probably the coolest thing in the book is a 14th c. desk/book
            cupboard. There are also a couple of livery cupboards, one framed chair,
            a side- table or buffet, a trestle table and matching bench, a few benches
            and stools, and some bed-posts; all from the 16th c. The entire domestic
            furniture section consists of 32 pages.

            Most entries are illustrated with one good B&W photograph; a few have
            additional photos of details, and there are also photos of objects not in
            the collection to illustrate the author's interpretations as to dating or
            provenance. Text descriptions are usually brief, except for a few special
            objects. One good thing is that the dimensions are given for each object.,
            though it would have been nice to have more details (lumber sections, for
            example - as in the wonderful Johnston book on 13th c. chests).

            A really great resource if you are interested in Gothic carving; nearly all
            the objects illustrated are carved, many quite magnificent.

            The ten-page Introduction discusses the collection and its context; not
            much in there of interest to the re-creator. There is some helpful
            information in the object descriptions, but not a lot.

            I have difficulty recommending this book. On the one hand, it is
            attractive for the hundreds of clear B&W photos and its devotion to the
            late medieval period. On the other, it is very expensive and 85% of it is
            architectural material.

            If you already have Chinnery and Windish-Graetz, this book is probably
            unnecessary, unless you are specifically interested in carving. If you are
            building a library of resources for medieval woodwork, this book certainly
            belongs there. If you are looking for information to help you build
            authentic reproductions, this book will help some but will also frustrate
            you. It doesn't suck, but it's not as good as one could hope for (given
            its title).

            Hope that helps. If you want more information, feel free to ask.

            Cheers,
            Colin

            Albion Works
            Furniture and Accessories
            For the Medievalist!
            http://www.albionworks.net
            http://www.albionworks.com
          • maf@gleichen.ca
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
              Not sure about that one but I reciently picked up 'English Furniture, From
              the Middle ages to Modern Times, by Margaret Macdonald'

              it's interesting, very general with a few very interesting pictures, most of
              which I've seen in other books. She assumes that since only very fancy
              furniture servived that poor people didn't have any furniture they just sat
              and slept on the floor.

              Mark/ Cered