Re: [MedievalSawdust] 299 members

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 1, 2004
      > We just hit 299 members!

      So if I got out and come back in, do I get a prize? ;)

      Ulrich

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 1, 2004
        --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

        > > We just hit 299 members!
        >
        > So if I got out and come back in, do I get a prize?
        > ;)
        >
        > Ulrich

        We just hit 301!

        no, Ulrich you don't get a prize.

        =====
        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
          Has anyone read English Medieval Furniture and Woodwork, by Charles
          Tracy?

          I'm considering picking it up, but I can't find it for less than the
          cost of six board feet of spalted maple.

          And if it sucks, I rather get the maple.

          Will
        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
            Jeeze, what are you paying for spalted maple??? I pay about $1.40 a board
            foot kiln dried or about 25 cents green from the mill. I am planing on
            making a lot of stuff with splated maple at those prices. Heck, if it
            sucks, send me the book, and I'll send you some maple........ ; ) Where
            do you live? If there are any local sawyers, when ever they cut soft maple
            there is about 10-30% that they consider trash, and it's all spalted, curly
            or bird's eye. They will darn near give it to you around here. I am
            looking for a big enough property to have stacks of drying wood.

            --
            In service to the dream,

            Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
            Privateer to the Midrealm

            Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
            (Take time to dance in the rain)

            Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
              >Has anyone read English Medieval Furniture and Woodwork, by Charles
              >Tracy?

              Yes, I have it.

              It consists of a catalogue of the V&A collection. A lot of it is
              architectural woodwork from various churches. ("The strength of the
              collection undoubtedly lies in the fragments of ecclesiastical
              woodwork.") Very little domestic furniture ("Understandably, complete
              specimens of medieval domestic furniture are few."), though there is a good
              selection of chests, including clamped-front, boarded, and panelled
              types. Probably the coolest thing in the book is a 14th c. desk/book
              cupboard. There are also a couple of livery cupboards, one framed chair,
              a side- table or buffet, a trestle table and matching bench, a few benches
              and stools, and some bed-posts; all from the 16th c. The entire domestic
              furniture section consists of 32 pages.

              Most entries are illustrated with one good B&W photograph; a few have
              additional photos of details, and there are also photos of objects not in
              the collection to illustrate the author's interpretations as to dating or
              provenance. Text descriptions are usually brief, except for a few special
              objects. One good thing is that the dimensions are given for each object.,
              though it would have been nice to have more details (lumber sections, for
              example - as in the wonderful Johnston book on 13th c. chests).

              A really great resource if you are interested in Gothic carving; nearly all
              the objects illustrated are carved, many quite magnificent.

              The ten-page Introduction discusses the collection and its context; not
              much in there of interest to the re-creator. There is some helpful
              information in the object descriptions, but not a lot.

              I have difficulty recommending this book. On the one hand, it is
              attractive for the hundreds of clear B&W photos and its devotion to the
              late medieval period. On the other, it is very expensive and 85% of it is
              architectural material.

              If you already have Chinnery and Windish-Graetz, this book is probably
              unnecessary, unless you are specifically interested in carving. If you are
              building a library of resources for medieval woodwork, this book certainly
              belongs there. If you are looking for information to help you build
              authentic reproductions, this book will help some but will also frustrate
              you. It doesn't suck, but it's not as good as one could hope for (given
              its title).

              Hope that helps. If you want more information, feel free to ask.

              Cheers,
              Colin

              Albion Works
              Furniture and Accessories
              For the Medievalist!
              http://www.albionworks.net
              http://www.albionworks.com
            • maf@gleichen.ca
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
                Not sure about that one but I reciently picked up 'English Furniture, From
                the Middle ages to Modern Times, by Margaret Macdonald'

                it's interesting, very general with a few very interesting pictures, most of
                which I've seen in other books. She assumes that since only very fancy
                furniture servived that poor people didn't have any furniture they just sat
                and slept on the floor.

                Mark/ Cered