Whuttzit?

  • jrwinkler@msn.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2002
      Hi gang…

      Today I got introduced to this cool whuttzit…  (picture attached)…

      Any wild ideas as what this is or how its used? (Yep… its' a "tool"…)???   Although it isn't medieval it has some kinda' neat relevance to what we do…

      Chas.
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2002
        It could be the tool that holds the file when you are sharping scrappers.  Esp. the round type.

        James Cunningham

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2002
          HARRUMPH!!!  Yer' no fun!!!  Winking smiley emoticon   Yep… that's what it is.  I hadn't run into it before and a friend showed it to me today… don't know how it would work with the round types… but the square scrapers work beautifully…

          Chas.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
            --- "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...> wrote:
            > It could be the tool that holds the file when you
            > are sharping scrappers. Esp. the round type.

            I was thinking that it holds a file
            for turning up a hand saw before you
            file the individual teeth.

            How 'bout some measurements?

            =====

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
              > I was thinking that it holds a file
              > for turning up a hand saw before you
              > file the individual teeth.

              oops.... still asleep...

              make that true-ing up ( or jointing )

              from 'Old Ways of Working Wood'
              Alex W. Bealer

              First of all, the saw blade must be top-jointed, joint
              refer-ring to the evenness of the points along a
              straight line from handle to end of blade. This is
              done with a flat mill or mill bastard file held in an
              easily made block which consists of two narrow boards,
              about a foot long, nailed together along their edges
              to form a right angle. The file is placed flat on the
              inside surface of one board then the block is reversed
              so that the file rests flatly on the saw points and
              the other board in the block serves as a fence to keep
              the file horizontal. Jointing is done by merely
              running the file along the length of the blade, with
              down-ward pressure deriving only from the weight of
              file and block, until all teeth are of the same
              length.

              =====

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
                Yes it could be but it would not be used for round saws. I think the term
                is "joining the saw teeth" so they are all the same higth(sp).

                James Cunningham