Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: musical instrument

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 30, 2004
      ;-D

      This could be fun...   tell ya' what, I could be 'Chas the old'...    you could be 'Chas the Young'...

      James Cunningham
      spoon in the pot again
    • Craig Robert Pierpont
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 30, 2004
        Lord William,
          Sorry about that. Nothing personal, I'm just a lousy self promoter.
        Craig Robert

        Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:54:24 -0400
        From: "Bill McNutt"
        Subject: RE: musical instrument

        "Another Era Lutherie."

        You do realize that I didn't know you had a web page. Nor have you ever
        given me a business card.

        I'm wounded.

        . Will

      • James Winkler
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 30, 2004
          Wow... 'Chas. the Young'...  I kinda' like the ring of that...

          Chas. "The Young"

          ========================

          ;-D

          This could be fun...   tell ya' what, I could be 'Chas the old'...    you could be 'Chas the Young'...

          James Cunningham
          spoon in the pot again
        • ewdysar
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 30, 2004
            Didn't the Greeks use "the Elder" and "the Younger" as in Pliny...

            Sounds period (if not too early) to me.

            Eric

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 30, 2004
              We just hit 299 members!

              =====
              Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 1, 2004
                > We just hit 299 members!

                So if I got out and come back in, do I get a prize? ;)

                Ulrich

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 1, 2004
                  --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

                  > > We just hit 299 members!
                  >
                  > So if I got out and come back in, do I get a prize?
                  > ;)
                  >
                  > Ulrich

                  We just hit 301!

                  no, Ulrich you don't get a prize.

                  =====
                  Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                  Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
                    Has anyone read English Medieval Furniture and Woodwork, by Charles
                    Tracy?

                    I'm considering picking it up, but I can't find it for less than the
                    cost of six board feet of spalted maple.

                    And if it sucks, I rather get the maple.

                    Will
                  • Dan Baker
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
                      Jeeze, what are you paying for spalted maple??? I pay about $1.40 a board
                      foot kiln dried or about 25 cents green from the mill. I am planing on
                      making a lot of stuff with splated maple at those prices. Heck, if it
                      sucks, send me the book, and I'll send you some maple........ ; ) Where
                      do you live? If there are any local sawyers, when ever they cut soft maple
                      there is about 10-30% that they consider trash, and it's all spalted, curly
                      or bird's eye. They will darn near give it to you around here. I am
                      looking for a big enough property to have stacks of drying wood.

                      --
                      In service to the dream,

                      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                      Privateer to the Midrealm

                      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                      (Take time to dance in the rain)

                      Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
                        >Has anyone read English Medieval Furniture and Woodwork, by Charles
                        >Tracy?

                        Yes, I have it.

                        It consists of a catalogue of the V&A collection. A lot of it is
                        architectural woodwork from various churches. ("The strength of the
                        collection undoubtedly lies in the fragments of ecclesiastical
                        woodwork.") Very little domestic furniture ("Understandably, complete
                        specimens of medieval domestic furniture are few."), though there is a good
                        selection of chests, including clamped-front, boarded, and panelled
                        types. Probably the coolest thing in the book is a 14th c. desk/book
                        cupboard. There are also a couple of livery cupboards, one framed chair,
                        a side- table or buffet, a trestle table and matching bench, a few benches
                        and stools, and some bed-posts; all from the 16th c. The entire domestic
                        furniture section consists of 32 pages.

                        Most entries are illustrated with one good B&W photograph; a few have
                        additional photos of details, and there are also photos of objects not in
                        the collection to illustrate the author's interpretations as to dating or
                        provenance. Text descriptions are usually brief, except for a few special
                        objects. One good thing is that the dimensions are given for each object.,
                        though it would have been nice to have more details (lumber sections, for
                        example - as in the wonderful Johnston book on 13th c. chests).

                        A really great resource if you are interested in Gothic carving; nearly all
                        the objects illustrated are carved, many quite magnificent.

                        The ten-page Introduction discusses the collection and its context; not
                        much in there of interest to the re-creator. There is some helpful
                        information in the object descriptions, but not a lot.

                        I have difficulty recommending this book. On the one hand, it is
                        attractive for the hundreds of clear B&W photos and its devotion to the
                        late medieval period. On the other, it is very expensive and 85% of it is
                        architectural material.

                        If you already have Chinnery and Windish-Graetz, this book is probably
                        unnecessary, unless you are specifically interested in carving. If you are
                        building a library of resources for medieval woodwork, this book certainly
                        belongs there. If you are looking for information to help you build
                        authentic reproductions, this book will help some but will also frustrate
                        you. It doesn't suck, but it's not as good as one could hope for (given
                        its title).

                        Hope that helps. If you want more information, feel free to ask.

                        Cheers,
                        Colin

                        Albion Works
                        Furniture and Accessories
                        For the Medievalist!
                        http://www.albionworks.net
                        http://www.albionworks.com
                      • maf@gleichen.ca
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
                          Not sure about that one but I reciently picked up 'English Furniture, From
                          the Middle ages to Modern Times, by Margaret Macdonald'

                          it's interesting, very general with a few very interesting pictures, most of
                          which I've seen in other books. She assumes that since only very fancy
                          furniture servived that poor people didn't have any furniture they just sat
                          and slept on the floor.

                          Mark/ Cered