musical instrument

  • Lady Isabella La Red
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 19, 2004
      Hi again does or has anyone tried their hand at making any kind of
      wooden musical instrument?
      I would be interested in learning how to make a mandolin or other
      wooden instrument.

      Thanks.
    • Arhur Slaughter /Finn Mac Art
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 19, 2004
        Though not entirely period i have built a couplr of Fretted dulcimers. Not
        extremely hard to do. For kits I recommend Music makers out of Stillwater
        Mn. Good stuff at decent prices.
        Finn
        > Hi again does or has anyone tried their hand at making any kind of
        > wooden musical instrument?
        > I would be interested in learning how to make a mandolin or other
        > wooden instrument.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Isabella La Red
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 19, 2004
          Thanks Finn but im in New Zealand.
          But im sure there must be some where here that has
          kitsets.

          <fion@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
          Though not entirely period i have built a couplr of
          Fretted dulcimers. Not
          extremely hard to do. For kits I recommend Music
          makers out of Stillwater
          Mn. Good stuff at decent prices.
          Finn
          > Hi again does or has anyone tried their hand at
          making any kind of
          > wooden musical instrument?
          > I would be interested in learning how to make a
          mandolin or other
          > wooden instrument.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Terms of Service.

          http://au.movies.yahoo.com
        • Craig Robert Pierpont
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 20, 2004
            Lady Isabella,
              I may know a little about this. In as much as I can be of assistance to you, I am at your service.

            Craig Robert

            Lord Craig Robert le Luthier de Pierrepont

            Craig R. Pierpont
            Another era Lutherie

            Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 03:07:19 -0000
            From: "Lady Isabella La Red"
            Subject: musical instrument

            Hi again does or has anyone tried their hand at making any kind of
            wooden musical instrument?
            I would be interested in learning how to make a mandolin or other
            wooden instrument.

            Thanks.

          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 20, 2004
              I know of a lady who has helped make hammered dulsimers(sp)!

              James Cunningham
              > Hi again does or has anyone tried their hand at making any kind of
              > wooden musical instrument?
              > I would be interested in learning how to make a mandolin or other
              > wooden instrument.
              >
              > Thanks.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • davidgiles.rm
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 20, 2004
                I have a catalog from Lark in the morning which has mandolins which
                appear to be medieval in design their website is
                www.larkinamwholesale.com

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
                <cunning@f...> wrote:
                > I know of a lady who has helped make hammered dulsimers(sp)!
                >
                > James Cunningham
                > > Hi again does or has anyone tried their hand at making any kind
                of
                > > wooden musical instrument?
                > > I would be interested in learning how to make a mandolin or other
                > > wooden instrument.
                > >
                > > Thanks.
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Danial Roy
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 21, 2004
                  I have made a couple of Anglo-saxon lyres. I was able to locate the
                  instructions on the internet and the wood working was fairly easy the
                  experiances where not.

                  >medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                  >Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 03:07:19 -0000
                  >From: "Lady Isabella La Red"
                  >Subject: musical instrument
                  >
                  >Hi again does or has anyone tried their hand at making any kind of
                  >wooden musical instrument?
                  >I would be interested in learning how to make a mandolin or other
                  >wooden instrument.
                  >
                  >Thanks.

                • gameresearch
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 29, 2004
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Lady Isabella La Red"
                    <lady_isabella_la_red@y...> wrote:
                    > Hi again does or has anyone tried their hand at making any kind of
                    > wooden musical instrument?
                    > I would be interested in learning how to make a mandolin or other
                    > wooden instrument.
                    >
                    > Thanks.

                    Greetings! I'm new to the list.
                    It's not of any help to your project but since I play flute and
                    whistle and have experimented with man-powered lathes I've always
                    wanted to make myself a simple flute on a lathe of my own construction.

                    Chas
                    --
                    Historic Turning Page
                    http://www.historicgames.com/lathes/lindex.html

                    Macgregor Historic Games
                    http://www.historicgames.com
                  • James Winkler
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 29, 2004
                      Well... funny you should have asked..   I've turned a couple of 'ocriana' thingies... I found a nifty set of 'how to' plans...  and it wasn't particularly difficult to make... the trickiest part is getting the 'fipple' (the part where ya' blow the wind in...) correct.   Too big and it tunes too low... too small... it squeeks...  but its an interesting process...

                      For any who really want a great primer on these things and other wind instruments I'd suggest

                      "The Amateur Wind Instrument Maker" by Trevor Robinson
                      1973, University of Massachusetts Press
                      ISBN - 0-87023-312-2

                      Its about a 100 page book but is a wealth of information... both theoretic and practical...  if ya' wanna' do flutes though be prepared to learn to make tapered holes!!!

                      Chas. (Oakley)

                      ===================================

                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 29, 2004
                        Chas,
                          You might try experimenting with plastic water pipe first. You can make a lot of mistakes with a $5.00, 10 foot section of pipe before you go to all the work of boring and turning your first flute.
                        Craig Robert

                        Craig R. Pierpont
                        Another Era Lutherie
                        www.anotherera.com

                        Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:06:12 -0000
                        From: "gameresearch"
                        Subject: Re: musical instrument

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 29, 2004
                          "Another Era Lutherie."

                          You do realize that I didn't know you had a web page. Nor have you ever
                          given me a business card.

                          I'm wounded.

                          . Will
                        • James Winkler
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 29, 2004
                            ;-D  Great idea... only I don't get to make wood chips fly on my lathe that way...

                            ... the original project was, for me... more of an exercise in turning and playing with the idea of boring the piece and turning it second...  unfortunately I'm not a musician and, while I can sing a bit... I'm perpetually puzzled by them little black dots that some folks find so fascinating... so the pieces that work end up getting given away to thems that know how to use em'... those that don't get tucked away because they look pretty...

                            Chas.

                            ===================================
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 29, 2004
                              VERY beautiful Harp site Sir! You are indeed a gifted fellow.
                                      I confess I am a consumate musician of stringed instruments (you'd never know to look at me but I make a large portion of my living playing) and avid wood worker but I have never been able to master the finesse of Luthery (sp) I am a large person with a LARGE personality and I find I always do better with LARGE slabs of wood and carving I can easily get me big "mits" into!
                              This list indeed holds a wealth of both Info and VERY talented folk. I will post pics of my own meager efforts shortly. I built a 16 ft. Trestle table with carved legs last spring, this summer and fall I am trying to finish the chairs to match. I use them at group events that I run. Every year I try to get a little more paraphenalia so that one day people will look around and see nothing modern and some lucky souls might have their "moment".
                              Thanks for all this great inspiration, may we all find our "moment".
                              Mikhalis

                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 29, 2004
                                Oops, looks like there's more than one Chas on the group.

                                Chas aka Andrew MacGregor
                                Groomporter, MacGregor Games

                                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"

                                medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com<mailto:medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                                > Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 11:15 AM
                                > Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] musical instrument
                                >

                                > Chas,
                                > You might try experimenting with plastic water pipe first. You
                                can make a lot of mistakes with a $5.00, 10 foot section of pipe
                                before you go to all the work of boring and turning your first flute.
                                > Craig Robert
                                >
                                > Craig R. Pierpont
                                > Another Era Lutherie
                                > www.anotherera.com<http://www.anotherera.com/>
                              • James Winkler
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 29, 2004
                                  ;-D

                                  This could be fun...   tell ya' what, I could be 'C1'...    you could be 'C2'...

                                  On the other hand, I always put the '.' at the end of "Chas." ..  I note that you just us 'Chas' ... now, if we can just get everybody else on the list to pick up on that... life is good...  but I ain't holdin' my breath...

                                  Good to have ya' aboard Chas

                                  Chas.

                                  ======================

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 30, 2004
                                    ;-D

                                    This could be fun...   tell ya' what, I could be 'Chas the old'...    you could be 'Chas the Young'...

                                    James Cunningham
                                    spoon in the pot again
                                  • Craig Robert Pierpont
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 30, 2004
                                      Lord William,
                                        Sorry about that. Nothing personal, I'm just a lousy self promoter.
                                      Craig Robert

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 30, 2004
                                        Wow... 'Chas. the Young'...  I kinda' like the ring of that...

                                        Chas. "The Young"

                                        ========================

                                        ;-D

                                        This could be fun...   tell ya' what, I could be 'Chas the old'...    you could be 'Chas the Young'...

                                        James Cunningham
                                        spoon in the pot again
                                      • ewdysar
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 30, 2004
                                          Didn't the Greeks use "the Elder" and "the Younger" as in Pliny...

                                          Sounds period (if not too early) to me.

                                          Eric

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 30, 2004
                                            We just hit 299 members!

                                            =====
                                            Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                            Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 1, 2004
                                              > We just hit 299 members!

                                              So if I got out and come back in, do I get a prize? ;)

                                              Ulrich

                                              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 1, 2004
                                                --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

                                                > > We just hit 299 members!
                                                >
                                                > So if I got out and come back in, do I get a prize?
                                                > ;)
                                                >
                                                > Ulrich

                                                We just hit 301!

                                                no, Ulrich you don't get a prize.

                                                =====
                                                Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                                Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                                                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
                                                  Has anyone read English Medieval Furniture and Woodwork, by Charles
                                                  Tracy?

                                                  I'm considering picking it up, but I can't find it for less than the
                                                  cost of six board feet of spalted maple.

                                                  And if it sucks, I rather get the maple.

                                                  Will
                                                • Dan Baker
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
                                                    Jeeze, what are you paying for spalted maple??? I pay about $1.40 a board
                                                    foot kiln dried or about 25 cents green from the mill. I am planing on
                                                    making a lot of stuff with splated maple at those prices. Heck, if it
                                                    sucks, send me the book, and I'll send you some maple........ ; ) Where
                                                    do you live? If there are any local sawyers, when ever they cut soft maple
                                                    there is about 10-30% that they consider trash, and it's all spalted, curly
                                                    or bird's eye. They will darn near give it to you around here. I am
                                                    looking for a big enough property to have stacks of drying wood.

                                                    --
                                                    In service to the dream,

                                                    Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                                                    Privateer to the Midrealm

                                                    Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                                                    (Take time to dance in the rain)

                                                    Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
                                                      >Has anyone read English Medieval Furniture and Woodwork, by Charles
                                                      >Tracy?

                                                      Yes, I have it.

                                                      It consists of a catalogue of the V&A collection. A lot of it is
                                                      architectural woodwork from various churches. ("The strength of the
                                                      collection undoubtedly lies in the fragments of ecclesiastical
                                                      woodwork.") Very little domestic furniture ("Understandably, complete
                                                      specimens of medieval domestic furniture are few."), though there is a good
                                                      selection of chests, including clamped-front, boarded, and panelled
                                                      types. Probably the coolest thing in the book is a 14th c. desk/book
                                                      cupboard. There are also a couple of livery cupboards, one framed chair,
                                                      a side- table or buffet, a trestle table and matching bench, a few benches
                                                      and stools, and some bed-posts; all from the 16th c. The entire domestic
                                                      furniture section consists of 32 pages.

                                                      Most entries are illustrated with one good B&W photograph; a few have
                                                      additional photos of details, and there are also photos of objects not in
                                                      the collection to illustrate the author's interpretations as to dating or
                                                      provenance. Text descriptions are usually brief, except for a few special
                                                      objects. One good thing is that the dimensions are given for each object.,
                                                      though it would have been nice to have more details (lumber sections, for
                                                      example - as in the wonderful Johnston book on 13th c. chests).

                                                      A really great resource if you are interested in Gothic carving; nearly all
                                                      the objects illustrated are carved, many quite magnificent.

                                                      The ten-page Introduction discusses the collection and its context; not
                                                      much in there of interest to the re-creator. There is some helpful
                                                      information in the object descriptions, but not a lot.

                                                      I have difficulty recommending this book. On the one hand, it is
                                                      attractive for the hundreds of clear B&W photos and its devotion to the
                                                      late medieval period. On the other, it is very expensive and 85% of it is
                                                      architectural material.

                                                      If you already have Chinnery and Windish-Graetz, this book is probably
                                                      unnecessary, unless you are specifically interested in carving. If you are
                                                      building a library of resources for medieval woodwork, this book certainly
                                                      belongs there. If you are looking for information to help you build
                                                      authentic reproductions, this book will help some but will also frustrate
                                                      you. It doesn't suck, but it's not as good as one could hope for (given
                                                      its title).

                                                      Hope that helps. If you want more information, feel free to ask.

                                                      Cheers,
                                                      Colin

                                                      Albion Works
                                                      Furniture and Accessories
                                                      For the Medievalist!
                                                      http://www.albionworks.net
                                                      http://www.albionworks.com
                                                    • maf@gleichen.ca
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Oct 7, 2004
                                                        Not sure about that one but I reciently picked up 'English Furniture, From
                                                        the Middle ages to Modern Times, by Margaret Macdonald'

                                                        it's interesting, very general with a few very interesting pictures, most of
                                                        which I've seen in other books. She assumes that since only very fancy
                                                        furniture servived that poor people didn't have any furniture they just sat
                                                        and slept on the floor.

                                                        Mark/ Cered