Midevial wood tools

  • jkjeys
    Message 1 of 57 , Sep 17 5:20 PM
      I have posted this before with no reesponse so I wish to apologize
      ahead of time. I am looking for resources to put together a set of
      wood working tools. Any book information or web sites would be
      greatly appreciated. Side note my wife has taken your advice and
      purchased for me a wood tap and die set. Thank you again.
    • Nest verch Tangwistel
      Message 57 of 57 , Oct 5, 2004
        First, thank you all for the ideas.

        Second, I didn't know how little I knew about this before I started
        looking.

        I borrowed a set of carving chisels off of my father. Wait these are
        called gouges, right? There were six of them. The blades styles consisted
        of 4 gentle curves and 2 sharp angles I then grabbed a 8"x8" piece of one
        inch thick air dried pine, and drew a quick sketch of a Tudor rose on it.
        After about 3 hours of digging away at it I ended up with something. I put
        a picture in the photo section in Nest's folder. The dark lines are not
        shadows, but discoloration in the wood.

        So now that I just waded in and started I decided to go to a store and
        look around. Boy, I could be in trouble now. I found a woodworkers store
        about 15 minutes from my work. The range of tools and wood pieces fairly
        has me staggered. They even give classes. They have 2 coming up which
        sounded interesting. One on chip carving, and one on hand made
        dovetailing. I bought a book on carving "How to carve wood" by Richard
        Butz and an 8 mm palm handled chisel. Stright edge was one of the things
        the set did not have.

        I think I have settled on carving a rather small box for my first project.
        That is all I have in mind right now.

        Again thank you all for getting me started.

        Nest

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail