Re: Period hot drinks

  • Wolfram Troeder
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2004
      Ok you asked for it:
      As you might have noticed I tried to state that hot drinks as we
      know them today and as they are known in the SCA which correlates
      strong are seldom medieval. They existed but had a much lower
      percentage of use as todays hot beverages have.
      Coffee and tea are also beverages that are common in the modern
      society as in the SCA, which contradicts with medieval realities.

      Also as I normally abhere from using medieval in the same sentence
      as SCA I nevertheless do it now.
      The SCA has a period. This period is not quite exactly the same
      timeframe that science uses for the middle ages, hence it is called
      period and not medieval.
      AFAIK the scientific society ends the middle ages at the latest
      1500, which by the way is far in the italian renaissance.

      You may have noticed that I am talking mostly about the middle ages
      aund you are talking SCA. This is not the same, not even close.
      This group has proven to be an excemption since sometimes I find
      something medieval here also. Thats why I stay.

      The question I referred to was about leather, which is only loosely
      related to wood, and about hot beverages, whose connection to the
      middle ages is also not strong.
      The combination of both is in the middle ages unlikely because
      ceramic drinking vessels would be the obvious choice for hot
      beverages because of the many advantages. Not to speak of the vast
      finds of ceramic mugs etc. Leather drinking vessels where at best
      sparse in the Middle ages.

      If you have sources that contradict my statements in general I am
      always happy to learn more. Please not more of e.g. "There are a few
      richly decorated drinking horns, that were used for higly ceremonial
      purposes, hence the number of drinking horns at an event worn at the
      belt should exceed the number of people participating."

      Back to lurk

      Tassilo

      --
      "As I am no native speaker my english is probably faulty. If
      something I wrote can be interpreted in two or more ways and one

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
      <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
      > THEY AIN'T???
      >
      > Mulled wines and things like that aren't period??? --
      >
      > "The OED says to mull is to make (wine, beer, etc.) into a hot
      drink with the addition of sugar, spices, beaten yolk of egg, etc.
      and who am I to argue with the OED but even they know that the
      prospect of a mulled wine or beer on a cold day fills a person with
      a warm glow. The history of mulling wine dates back to medieval days
      when they were thought to be very healthy (agreed if you consider it
      would be considerably more sanitary than their drinking water) and
      probably did sustain their health through the cold winter months."

      > TEA ain't period??? ---
      >
      > "The introduction of tea to Europe - The first mention of tea
      outside China and Japan is said to be by the Arabs in 850 AD and it
      was they who were reputed to have introduced tea to Europe via the
      Venetians in the middle of the 16th century. Subsequently however
      the Portuguese opened up the sea routes to China, some say as early
      as 1515, and the Jesuit priests, traveling on the ships, are reputed
      to have brought the tea drinking habit back to Portugal, while the
      Dutch sailors manning the ships were said to have encouraged the
      Dutch merchants to enter the trade."

      > (Well... o.k., its 'just' in the last period century of the SCA...
      but its in there... )...

      > Possits and caudles are, per se, period... but I'll bet they had a
      long tradition that went back to something hot and medieval...
      (actually caudles seem almost to be the colonial 'Yard of
      Flannel'...)