Re: [MedievalSawdust] Period wood stains?

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2004

      Some period stain?  Hmmmm.  What are the shafts made of?  I'd think they'd paint them, but stain is essentially weak paint.  Just pigment in a base.

      Other staining methods, especially good if the shafts are oak.

      Soak them in vinegar that iron filings have been steeped in.  Grayish black stain.

      Soak them in Pig urine.  The ammonia will change the color reacting with the tannins.

      The darkening that linseed oil does might be adequate for your archer friend.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD

      Greetings all!

      I was asked by an archer friend of mine about period stains for arrow shafts. She wants to stain her arrow shafts in a period manner, and was hoping to get information on the types of stains that were used in period.

      Does anyone have any information on this subject?

      Thanks in advance,
      Aengus MacBain