finishes

  • davidgiles.rm
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2004
      I plan to make some mugs for use at some events but I'm not sure what
      to use to protect them with from liquids ,hot or cold. Any suggestion.
      David
    • C N Schwartz
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2004
        Just make them out of silver. ......

        Oh... right... woodworking listgroup... sorry.

        Wooden mugs. Use no finish on the inside if you want. With the right woods
        it won't be a problem.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 5, 2004
          While we are on a somewhat related
          subject.....

          Does anyone know that name of that
          food safe epoxy that is sometimes
          used by makers of leather mugs and
          bottles?

          =====
          Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Omer
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 5, 2004
            brewers pitch. Expensive and hard to find.
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 5, 2004
              --- Omer <omer77@...> wrote:

              > brewers pitch. Expensive and hard to find.

              Don't think that's the same stuff

              The stuff I'm thinking of is clear
              and is definately an epoxy.

              Brewers pitch would work, it's just
              not want I'm thiiinking of.

              =====
              Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

              http://messenger.yahoo.com
            • Omer
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 5, 2004
                OH, modern stuff?
                > > brewers pitch. Expensive and hard to find.
                >
                > Don't think that's the same stuff
                >
                > The stuff I'm thinking of is clear
                > and is definately an epoxy.
                >
                > Brewers pitch would work, it's just
                > not want I'm thiiinking of.
                >

                > =====
                > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                > Seneschal, Barony of Fenix
                >
                > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                > ' Dare Something Worthy '

              • Aelfgeirr
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 6, 2004
                  Message: 3
                     Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:07:14 -0700
                     From: "Brian Tychonski" <BrianBroadaxe@...>
                  Subject: Leather coatings

                  Does anyone know that name of that
                  food safe epoxy that is sometimes
                  used by makers of leather mugs and
                  bottles?

                  This is a quote from the Medieval Leather list.

                  I made a jack/mug and coated the inside with Evirotex Epoxy. It is alcohol safe. The first coat just soak in to the leather and made it very stiff. (which turned out to be an added bonus)  I put 2 or 3 more coats to make sure it was solid and water tight.  You can get Evirotex at Hobby Lobby and Michaels.

                  I have a drinking horn with this lining it. It can hold both hot and cold drinks.

                  By the way here is a link to some Brewer's Pitch.

                  http://www.jastown.com/bulk/bp-293.htm

                  --

                  Alfgeirr skytja

                  "You will never `find' time for anything. If you want time you must make it."
                  — Charles Buxton, English author (1823-1871).

                • John LaTorre
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 6, 2004
                    Conal wrote:

                    > Does anyone know that name of that
                    > food safe epoxy that is sometimes
                    > used by makers of leather mugs and
                    > bottles?

                    This subject comes up often enough that I've bookmarked this page:

                    http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/stor
                    y/data/finishfood.xml

                    The upshot of the article is that most finishes are food safe once the
                    curing process is over.

                    Other people beg to differ:

                    http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/finish3.shtml

                    I might add that I just Googled the subject (four screens deep) and couldn't
                    find any articles specifically saying that any epoxy-based finish was food
                    safe. But I didn't find any specifically warning against it, and I know a
                    few SCA merchants who routinely use it for sealing wooden tankards and such,
                    and haven't heard of any ill effects so far.

                    All the same, I think I'd go with Brian's suggestion about beeswax.

                    Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

                  • tentmeister
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 6, 2004
                      Aelfgeirr wrote:
                      > This is a quote from the Medieval Leather list.
                      >
                      > *I made a jack/mug and coated the inside with Evirotex Epoxy. It is
                      > alcohol safe. The first coat just soak in to the leather and made
                      it
                      > very stiff. (which turned out to be an added bonus) I put 2 or 3
                      more
                      > coats to make sure it was solid and water tight. You can get
                      Evirotex
                      > at Hobby Lobby and Michaels.

                      Johann here (posting from a different address to confuse
                      everybody) ...

                      Please note that Envirotex is sold as a casting resin, not a food-
                      grade sealer.

                      You might want to look at the spec sheet for Envirotex:

                      http://www.eti-usa.com/MSDS/Envirotex%20Lite%20Resin.htm

                      Note that it doesn't say anything on it anywhere about it being "food
                      safe" or approved for food use.

                      --Johann von Drachenfels
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                        I use beeswax for cold. I haven't found a satisfactory period finish
                        for hot drinks, so I use salad bowl finish, a modern, food grade
                        synthetic.

                        Will

                        I plan to make some mugs for use at some events but I'm not sure what
                        to use to protect them with from liquids ,hot or cold. Any suggestion.
                        David

                        Yahoo! Groups Links