Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Finger Joints

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3 7:03 AM

      Depends on what you mean by finger joints.

      If you mean the multple finger types (I mean a LOT of fingers... like 10 on each side of a joint) then no, that was not period.  That joint is a table saw joint.  It's a fast and dirty industrial substitute for dovetails that depends on glue for joint strength.

      If you mean just one or two 'fingers' that is certainly period.  In nailed together 6 board chests you see a bunch made that way in period.  Witness the Mastermyr Chest.  The side has the 'high' finger and the end has the low.  If you look close it almost looks like the joint is sloped a bit where they meet on one of the joints.  Sort of dovetail-y, but inconclusive in the resources I've seen.

      Late period you do see dovetails, and that is sort of finger like, but I don't think you are asking about that.

      I've never seen 3+ finger joints on early period piece 6 board chest.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD

      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hook
      > wrote:
      > > Seeking an opinion here, for complete lack of concrete evidence at
      > the
      > > moment. A lot of re-enactors here in Oz make six plank chests and
      > there
      > > derivatives using finger joints up the side. I've erred on the side
      > of
      > > caution for late 15th century European chests and simply nailed or
      > > doweled the planks on the side with no joint.
      > >
      > > Is there any evidence for finger joints in the late medieval period?
      > > ----
      > > "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate" - William of Occam.

    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3 7:03 AM
        Howdy Alex!!!

        Glad ya' "de-cloaked"...   I took a look at your website...  I don't read the language... but the pictures speak volumns...  wow... you guys do it right!!!