Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Gate-Leg Tables

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
      I looked in "Oak Furniture" by Chinnery last night. Nothing pictured
      was pre-1600. There was a written reference to a "falling table" in
      15-something, but nothing conclusive.

      Ulrich

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
        Random advice: Don't buy chisel or gouge sets. Here's how chisels and
        gouges work.

        You will have your favorite. You will use it for almost everything. It
        will cut well, be comfortable in your hand, and do most of the work.
        Then you will have the other one. It somehow won't get as sharp and
        isn't as easy to use, but it fits where your favorite won't and does a
        good enough job. And then there will be the big one, that you don't
        particularly like to use, but does a good job of removing a lot of stock
        or glue quickly.

        Other than these three, the rest of the chisels and gouges in your set
        will just hang out, waiting for the odd job that only they can do.

        And your money will be tied up in them in the meantime.

        Buy them one at a time, as you need them.

        Will
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
          Congratulations! Now that your child or significant other has become a
          woodworker, you have a cheap, simple, and easy out for the gift-giving
          season.

          I've got one word for you: clamps.

          How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask? The answer: more. No
          matter how many you think they have, they can use more.

          Here is some jargon to get you started: bar clamps, pipe clamps,
          c-clamps, spring-clamps, I-beam clamps, wooden clamps, Jorgensen clamps.

          Go to a hardware store or woodworking shop and pick any of those.
          Always buy clamps in pairs.

          Clamps can never be the wrong size, wrong color, too cheap, or too
          expensive. No matter which ones you buy, I promise you, your woodworker
          will use them.

          Will
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
            --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:

            > Random advice: Don't buy chisel or gouge sets.
            > Here's how chisels and
            > gouges work.
            >
            > You will have your favorite.

            My favorite sat in a drawer for years with
            a broken wooden handle. I pushed it around
            the drawer and basically ignored it.

            then one day,I needed a chisel for
            a project and all of my chisels were at my
            father-in-law's getting sharpened ( He is a
            woodcarver and has sharpening toys I do not.
            And he willing to put a mirror polish on them...)

            I pulled this old rusty chisel blade out,
            roughed out a handle and sharpened it myself.

            Should have done it YEARS ago.

            Stays sharp forever and cuts like a dream!

            =====
            Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
            Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

            http://messenger.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
              I can't argue with this....

              > How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask?
              > The answer: more. No
              > matter how many you think they have, they can use
              > more.

              You need on average three more clamos than you
              have at any one time. Simple fomula....

              Clamps needed = clamps owned + 3

              =====
              Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
            • C N Schwartz
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                Or you can just do what I've done. Buy that set when you get it offered at
                a price you can't refuse. I got a huge set of old Buck patternmaker chisels
                for only $20. A palm chisel carving set for $10. Yup, don't mind all those
                unused chisels now. The price was right for just a couple of pieces but now
                I have lots of spares.

                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                  Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                  for a lifetime....

                  Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                  die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                  made out of scrap wood.....

                  Congratulations! Now that your child or significant other has become a
                  woodworker, you have a cheap, simple, and easy out for the gift-giving
                  season.

                  I've got one word for you: clamps.

                  How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask? The answer: more. No
                  matter how many you think they have, they can use more.

                  Here is some jargon to get you started: bar clamps, pipe clamps,
                  c-clamps, spring-clamps, I-beam clamps, wooden clamps, Jorgensen clamps.

                  Go to a hardware store or woodworking shop and pick any of those.
                  Always buy clamps in pairs.

                  Clamps can never be the wrong size, wrong color, too cheap, or too
                  expensive. No matter which ones you buy, I promise you, your woodworker
                  will use them.

                  Will
                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                    OK you opened the can... I have a 3/4 wood tap, die and plenty of scrap
                    wood. What's next?

                    James Cunningham
                    Worm Herder

                    > Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                    > for a lifetime....
                    >
                    > Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                    > die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                    > made out of scrap wood.....

                  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                      OOPs for got to add...and not enought clamps.

                      James Cunningham
                    • C N Schwartz
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                        Handscrews and large 'bar' clamps. To start, make this:

                        http://www.diydata.com/tool/clamps/hand.jpg

                        Need any tips? It's 4 pieces. 2 screws, 2 jaws.

                        In this picture, top left over size hole, top right threaded hole, bottom
                        left threaded hole, bottom right just a dimple.

                        OK you opened the can... I have a 3/4 wood tap, die and plenty of scrap
                        wood. What's next?

                        James Cunningham
                        Worm Herder

                        > Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                        > for a lifetime....
                        >
                        > Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                        > die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                        > made out of scrap wood.....

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • C N Schwartz
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 4, 2004
                          Ok. I tried.

                          Even took pictures to post.

                          But.... I need to find better dowel material or figure out why my wooden die
                          is crumbling the screw threads. It was the last step, too. Took less than
                          an hour.

                          Sorry.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 2, 2004
                            Maybe I plan better. On average, I need only one more clamp than I
                            have.

                            Will

                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 2, 2004
                              <Raised eyebrow>