[MedievalSawdust] Finger Joints

  • Robert Hook
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
      Seeking an opinion here, for complete lack of concrete evidence at the
      moment. A lot of re-enactors here in Oz make six plank chests and there
      derivatives using finger joints up the side. I've erred on the side of
      caution for late 15th century European chests and simply nailed or
      doweled the planks on the side with no joint.

      Is there any evidence for finger joints in the late medieval period?
      ----
      “Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate” - William of Occam.

      mailto: rhook@...
      http://homepage.mac.com/rhook (source PGP signature from here)
      Robert Hook
      Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    • alex_grofics
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
        I'm not sure how finger joints could be used on the sides, but
        dovetailing was done. The dovetailes were still fairly large, though.

        Attaching planks together to make boards was often done using grooves
        and dowels. From what I understand nails were rarer.

        Check out Daniel Diehl's books on medieval furniture for more info.

        Alex

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hook <rhook@m...>
        wrote:
        > Seeking an opinion here, for complete lack of concrete evidence at
        the
        > moment. A lot of re-enactors here in Oz make six plank chests and
        there
        > derivatives using finger joints up the side. I've erred on the side
        of
        > caution for late 15th century European chests and simply nailed or
        > doweled the planks on the side with no joint.
        >
        > Is there any evidence for finger joints in the late medieval period?
        > ----
        > "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate" - William of Occam.
        >
        > mailto: rhook@m...
        > http://homepage.mac.com/rhook (source PGP signature from here)
        > Robert Hook
        > Brisbane, Qld, Australia
      • alex_grofics
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
          I almost forgot: I don't think I have introduced myself to the list:
          I live in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. I started doing reenactment a
          couple years ago and now I'm nearly finished getting my basic kit
          together. My primary period of interest is 15th century Burgundy. I'm
          a member of the dutch group 'die Landen van Herwaerts Over',
          http://dielanden.nl

          I got interested in woodworking just to get some basic gear together
          (benches, chests etc) but I haven't had the time to start a project,
          yet. So far all I have done is reading some books and websites.

          I've been lurking here for some time now and I think have learned
          quite a lot!

          Alex
        • kjworz@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004

            Depends on what you mean by finger joints.

            If you mean the multple finger types (I mean a LOT of fingers... like 10 on each side of a joint) then no, that was not period.  That joint is a table saw joint.  It's a fast and dirty industrial substitute for dovetails that depends on glue for joint strength.

            If you mean just one or two 'fingers' that is certainly period.  In nailed together 6 board chests you see a bunch made that way in period.  Witness the Mastermyr Chest.  The side has the 'high' finger and the end has the low.  If you look close it almost looks like the joint is sloped a bit where they meet on one of the joints.  Sort of dovetail-y, but inconclusive in the resources I've seen.

            Late period you do see dovetails, and that is sort of finger like, but I don't think you are asking about that.

            I've never seen 3+ finger joints on early period piece 6 board chest.

            --
            -Chris Schwartz
            Silver Spring, MD

            > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hook
            > wrote:
            > > Seeking an opinion here, for complete lack of concrete evidence at
            > the
            > > moment. A lot of re-enactors here in Oz make six plank chests and
            > there
            > > derivatives using finger joints up the side. I've erred on the side
            > of
            > > caution for late 15th century European chests and simply nailed or
            > > doweled the planks on the side with no joint.
            > >
            > > Is there any evidence for finger joints in the late medieval period?
            > > ----
            > > "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate" - William of Occam.

          • James Winkler
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
              Howdy Alex!!!

              Glad ya' "de-cloaked"...   I took a look at your website...  I don't read the language... but the pictures speak volumns...  wow... you guys do it right!!!