Re: [MedievalSawdust] Newbie

    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
      (Think about it... other than the
      > rather famous picture of Joseph and the
      > mousetraps... anybody seen any other example of the
      > existence of a period mousetrap???)

      No, I've looked... a lot.
      I've emailed curators....

      =====
      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • jkjeys
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
        My wife and I belong to Calontir. We have joined the Dunard shire.
        My wife is doing english and I am doing scottish. I felt it was a
        natural since we have a dog who would pass as a sheep. We live in
        Platte City Mo. It is 20 miles north of Kansas city. I have looked
        over your links and I appreciate the information

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
        <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
        > Hey Jon... welcome to the list... just so happens that, if
        you're looking for furniture and storage stuff... ya' came to a good
        place.

        > I'd offer you the stuff I have on-line... check out...
        >
        > www.medievalwood.org/charles<http://www.medievalwood.org/charles>

        www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/oakley/<http://www.livinghistory.co
        .uk/homepages/oakley/> or

        http://www.oakley.circlewolf.org/<http://www.oakley.circlewolf.org/>

        > These are all the same thing... just different locations. You
        didn't mention any particular time period or culture so I don't know
        if this stuff would work for you... but help yourself if it
        does... I'm sure you'll get lots of other leads.

        > Lillies, eh? What kingdom do you hail from and where about this
        Known World do you call home?

        > Chas.
      • jkjeys
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
          Thank you the link did provide me with some inspiration and ideas
          for some items that I had overlooked.

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Rettie" <tom@h...>
          wrote:
          > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "jkjeys" <JonJeys@k...>
          > wrote:
          > > I have browsed
          > > some of the albums and would like to say I am very impressed by
          > the
          > > groups abilitys. As I am new the SCA I would appreciate any help
          > in
          > > direction on furniture for our time period, and storage.
          >
          > Jon,
          >
          > You might find some inspiration here:
          >
          > http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/campstuff.html
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Tom
          > (Fin)
        • Joseph Hayes
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
            I looked in "Oak Furniture" by Chinnery last night. Nothing pictured
            was pre-1600. There was a written reference to a "falling table" in
            15-something, but nothing conclusive.

            Ulrich

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
              Random advice: Don't buy chisel or gouge sets. Here's how chisels and
              gouges work.

              You will have your favorite. You will use it for almost everything. It
              will cut well, be comfortable in your hand, and do most of the work.
              Then you will have the other one. It somehow won't get as sharp and
              isn't as easy to use, but it fits where your favorite won't and does a
              good enough job. And then there will be the big one, that you don't
              particularly like to use, but does a good job of removing a lot of stock
              or glue quickly.

              Other than these three, the rest of the chisels and gouges in your set
              will just hang out, waiting for the odd job that only they can do.

              And your money will be tied up in them in the meantime.

              Buy them one at a time, as you need them.

              Will
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                Congratulations! Now that your child or significant other has become a
                woodworker, you have a cheap, simple, and easy out for the gift-giving
                season.

                I've got one word for you: clamps.

                How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask? The answer: more. No
                matter how many you think they have, they can use more.

                Here is some jargon to get you started: bar clamps, pipe clamps,
                c-clamps, spring-clamps, I-beam clamps, wooden clamps, Jorgensen clamps.

                Go to a hardware store or woodworking shop and pick any of those.
                Always buy clamps in pairs.

                Clamps can never be the wrong size, wrong color, too cheap, or too
                expensive. No matter which ones you buy, I promise you, your woodworker
                will use them.

                Will
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                  --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                  > Random advice: Don't buy chisel or gouge sets.
                  > Here's how chisels and
                  > gouges work.
                  >
                  > You will have your favorite.

                  My favorite sat in a drawer for years with
                  a broken wooden handle. I pushed it around
                  the drawer and basically ignored it.

                  then one day,I needed a chisel for
                  a project and all of my chisels were at my
                  father-in-law's getting sharpened ( He is a
                  woodcarver and has sharpening toys I do not.
                  And he willing to put a mirror polish on them...)

                  I pulled this old rusty chisel blade out,
                  roughed out a handle and sharpened it myself.

                  Should have done it YEARS ago.

                  Stays sharp forever and cuts like a dream!

                  =====
                  Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                  Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                  http://messenger.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                    I can't argue with this....

                    > How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask?
                    > The answer: more. No
                    > matter how many you think they have, they can use
                    > more.

                    You need on average three more clamos than you
                    have at any one time. Simple fomula....

                    Clamps needed = clamps owned + 3

                    =====
                    Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                    Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                  • C N Schwartz
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                      Or you can just do what I've done. Buy that set when you get it offered at
                      a price you can't refuse. I got a huge set of old Buck patternmaker chisels
                      for only $20. A palm chisel carving set for $10. Yup, don't mind all those
                      unused chisels now. The price was right for just a couple of pieces but now
                      I have lots of spares.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                        Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                        for a lifetime....

                        Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                        die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                        made out of scrap wood.....

                        Congratulations! Now that your child or significant other has become a
                        woodworker, you have a cheap, simple, and easy out for the gift-giving
                        season.

                        I've got one word for you: clamps.

                        How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask? The answer: more. No
                        matter how many you think they have, they can use more.

                        Here is some jargon to get you started: bar clamps, pipe clamps,
                        c-clamps, spring-clamps, I-beam clamps, wooden clamps, Jorgensen clamps.

                        Go to a hardware store or woodworking shop and pick any of those.
                        Always buy clamps in pairs.

                        Clamps can never be the wrong size, wrong color, too cheap, or too
                        expensive. No matter which ones you buy, I promise you, your woodworker
                        will use them.

                        Will
                      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                          OK you opened the can... I have a 3/4 wood tap, die and plenty of scrap
                          wood. What's next?

                          James Cunningham
                          Worm Herder

                          > Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                          > for a lifetime....
                          >
                          > Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                          > die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                          > made out of scrap wood.....

                        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                            OOPs for got to add...and not enought clamps.

                            James Cunningham
                          • C N Schwartz
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                              Handscrews and large 'bar' clamps. To start, make this:

                              http://www.diydata.com/tool/clamps/hand.jpg

                              Need any tips? It's 4 pieces. 2 screws, 2 jaws.

                              In this picture, top left over size hole, top right threaded hole, bottom
                              left threaded hole, bottom right just a dimple.

                              OK you opened the can... I have a 3/4 wood tap, die and plenty of scrap
                              wood. What's next?

                              James Cunningham
                              Worm Herder

                              > Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                              > for a lifetime....
                              >
                              > Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                              > die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                              > made out of scrap wood.....

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • C N Schwartz
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 4, 2004
                                Ok. I tried.

                                Even took pictures to post.

                                But.... I need to find better dowel material or figure out why my wooden die
                                is crumbling the screw threads. It was the last step, too. Took less than
                                an hour.

                                Sorry.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 2, 2004
                                  Maybe I plan better. On average, I need only one more clamp than I
                                  have.

                                  Will

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 2, 2004
                                    <Raised eyebrow>