RE: [MedievalSawdust] Gate-Leg Tables

    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 2 6:38 PM
      --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

      > --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
      > > Would anyone care to speculate why they [gate leg
      > tables] didn't show
      > > up until the Colonial era?

      You might also want to consider who
      might want a folding table....

      Would someone that had the space and
      money for extra tables needed something
      of this nature?

      More later.... I'm tired....

      =====
      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 2 6:41 PM
        (Think about it... other than the
        > rather famous picture of Joseph and the
        > mousetraps... anybody seen any other example of the
        > existence of a period mousetrap???)

        No, I've looked... a lot.
        I've emailed curators....

        =====
        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • jkjeys
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 2 7:39 PM
          My wife and I belong to Calontir. We have joined the Dunard shire.
          My wife is doing english and I am doing scottish. I felt it was a
          natural since we have a dog who would pass as a sheep. We live in
          Platte City Mo. It is 20 miles north of Kansas city. I have looked
          over your links and I appreciate the information

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
          <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
          > Hey Jon... welcome to the list... just so happens that, if
          you're looking for furniture and storage stuff... ya' came to a good
          place.

          > I'd offer you the stuff I have on-line... check out...
          >
          > www.medievalwood.org/charles<http://www.medievalwood.org/charles>

          www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/oakley/<http://www.livinghistory.co
          .uk/homepages/oakley/> or

          http://www.oakley.circlewolf.org/<http://www.oakley.circlewolf.org/>

          > These are all the same thing... just different locations. You
          didn't mention any particular time period or culture so I don't know
          if this stuff would work for you... but help yourself if it
          does... I'm sure you'll get lots of other leads.

          > Lillies, eh? What kingdom do you hail from and where about this
          Known World do you call home?

          > Chas.
        • jkjeys
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 2 7:42 PM
            Thank you the link did provide me with some inspiration and ideas
            for some items that I had overlooked.

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Rettie" <tom@h...>
            wrote:
            > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "jkjeys" <JonJeys@k...>
            > wrote:
            > > I have browsed
            > > some of the albums and would like to say I am very impressed by
            > the
            > > groups abilitys. As I am new the SCA I would appreciate any help
            > in
            > > direction on furniture for our time period, and storage.
            >
            > Jon,
            >
            > You might find some inspiration here:
            >
            > http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/campstuff.html
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Tom
            > (Fin)
          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 3 5:13 AM
              I looked in "Oak Furniture" by Chinnery last night. Nothing pictured
              was pre-1600. There was a written reference to a "falling table" in
              15-something, but nothing conclusive.

              Ulrich

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 3 11:52 AM
                Random advice: Don't buy chisel or gouge sets. Here's how chisels and
                gouges work.

                You will have your favorite. You will use it for almost everything. It
                will cut well, be comfortable in your hand, and do most of the work.
                Then you will have the other one. It somehow won't get as sharp and
                isn't as easy to use, but it fits where your favorite won't and does a
                good enough job. And then there will be the big one, that you don't
                particularly like to use, but does a good job of removing a lot of stock
                or glue quickly.

                Other than these three, the rest of the chisels and gouges in your set
                will just hang out, waiting for the odd job that only they can do.

                And your money will be tied up in them in the meantime.

                Buy them one at a time, as you need them.

                Will
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 3 12:20 PM
                  Congratulations! Now that your child or significant other has become a
                  woodworker, you have a cheap, simple, and easy out for the gift-giving
                  season.

                  I've got one word for you: clamps.

                  How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask? The answer: more. No
                  matter how many you think they have, they can use more.

                  Here is some jargon to get you started: bar clamps, pipe clamps,
                  c-clamps, spring-clamps, I-beam clamps, wooden clamps, Jorgensen clamps.

                  Go to a hardware store or woodworking shop and pick any of those.
                  Always buy clamps in pairs.

                  Clamps can never be the wrong size, wrong color, too cheap, or too
                  expensive. No matter which ones you buy, I promise you, your woodworker
                  will use them.

                  Will
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 3 12:47 PM
                    --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                    > Random advice: Don't buy chisel or gouge sets.
                    > Here's how chisels and
                    > gouges work.
                    >
                    > You will have your favorite.

                    My favorite sat in a drawer for years with
                    a broken wooden handle. I pushed it around
                    the drawer and basically ignored it.

                    then one day,I needed a chisel for
                    a project and all of my chisels were at my
                    father-in-law's getting sharpened ( He is a
                    woodcarver and has sharpening toys I do not.
                    And he willing to put a mirror polish on them...)

                    I pulled this old rusty chisel blade out,
                    roughed out a handle and sharpened it myself.

                    Should have done it YEARS ago.

                    Stays sharp forever and cuts like a dream!

                    =====
                    Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                    Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                    http://messenger.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 3 12:50 PM
                      I can't argue with this....

                      > How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask?
                      > The answer: more. No
                      > matter how many you think they have, they can use
                      > more.

                      You need on average three more clamos than you
                      have at any one time. Simple fomula....

                      Clamps needed = clamps owned + 3

                      =====
                      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                    • C N Schwartz
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 3 2:10 PM
                        Or you can just do what I've done. Buy that set when you get it offered at
                        a price you can't refuse. I got a huge set of old Buck patternmaker chisels
                        for only $20. A palm chisel carving set for $10. Yup, don't mind all those
                        unused chisels now. The price was right for just a couple of pieces but now
                        I have lots of spares.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 3 2:13 PM
                          Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                          for a lifetime....

                          Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                          die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                          made out of scrap wood.....

                          Congratulations! Now that your child or significant other has become a
                          woodworker, you have a cheap, simple, and easy out for the gift-giving
                          season.

                          I've got one word for you: clamps.

                          How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask? The answer: more. No
                          matter how many you think they have, they can use more.

                          Here is some jargon to get you started: bar clamps, pipe clamps,
                          c-clamps, spring-clamps, I-beam clamps, wooden clamps, Jorgensen clamps.

                          Go to a hardware store or woodworking shop and pick any of those.
                          Always buy clamps in pairs.

                          Clamps can never be the wrong size, wrong color, too cheap, or too
                          expensive. No matter which ones you buy, I promise you, your woodworker
                          will use them.

                          Will
                        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 3 2:15 PM
                            OK you opened the can... I have a 3/4 wood tap, die and plenty of scrap
                            wood. What's next?

                            James Cunningham
                            Worm Herder

                            > Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                            > for a lifetime....
                            >
                            > Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                            > die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                            > made out of scrap wood.....

                          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 3 2:16 PM
                              OOPs for got to add...and not enought clamps.

                              James Cunningham
                            • C N Schwartz
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 3 4:29 PM
                                Handscrews and large 'bar' clamps. To start, make this:

                                http://www.diydata.com/tool/clamps/hand.jpg

                                Need any tips? It's 4 pieces. 2 screws, 2 jaws.

                                In this picture, top left over size hole, top right threaded hole, bottom
                                left threaded hole, bottom right just a dimple.

                                OK you opened the can... I have a 3/4 wood tap, die and plenty of scrap
                                wood. What's next?

                                James Cunningham
                                Worm Herder

                                > Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                                > for a lifetime....
                                >
                                > Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                                > die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                                > made out of scrap wood.....

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • C N Schwartz
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 4 8:44 AM
                                  Ok. I tried.

                                  Even took pictures to post.

                                  But.... I need to find better dowel material or figure out why my wooden die
                                  is crumbling the screw threads. It was the last step, too. Took less than
                                  an hour.

                                  Sorry.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 2, 2004
                                    Maybe I plan better. On average, I need only one more clamp than I
                                    have.

                                    Will

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 2, 2004
                                      <Raised eyebrow>