Re: Gate-Leg Tables

  • Chris Larsson (Hrelgar)
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 2 3:46 PM
      > > Would anyone care to speculate why they [gate leg tables] didn't show
      > > up until the Colonial era?

      just my own guess but if one is rich enough for such a table, then you
      probably don't need a dual use table, and you have plenty of space for
      dedicated tables. So the idea never occurred to anyone, or if it did,
      he said, "why bother".

      I'd also vote for the fact that only a tiny fraction of medieval
      furniture survived intact or in art.

      Chris
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 2 6:27 PM

        > (If you visit my sight you'll notice some plans for
        > folding chairs/stools... the critical piece on these
        > chairs are the dowel pins that hold it all together
        > and allow these pieces to fold up... get em' wet...
        > the whole 'folding thing' ceases to work...

        Yep, my folding stool wouldn't fold for
        about four days after Pennsic. '

        Red Oak - no finish....

        =====
        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

        http://messenger.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 2 6:38 PM
          --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

          > --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
          > > Would anyone care to speculate why they [gate leg
          > tables] didn't show
          > > up until the Colonial era?

          You might also want to consider who
          might want a folding table....

          Would someone that had the space and
          money for extra tables needed something
          of this nature?

          More later.... I'm tired....

          =====
          Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 2 6:41 PM
            (Think about it... other than the
            > rather famous picture of Joseph and the
            > mousetraps... anybody seen any other example of the
            > existence of a period mousetrap???)

            No, I've looked... a lot.
            I've emailed curators....

            =====
            Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
            Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • jkjeys
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 2 7:39 PM
              My wife and I belong to Calontir. We have joined the Dunard shire.
              My wife is doing english and I am doing scottish. I felt it was a
              natural since we have a dog who would pass as a sheep. We live in
              Platte City Mo. It is 20 miles north of Kansas city. I have looked
              over your links and I appreciate the information

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
              <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
              > Hey Jon... welcome to the list... just so happens that, if
              you're looking for furniture and storage stuff... ya' came to a good
              place.

              > I'd offer you the stuff I have on-line... check out...
              >
              > www.medievalwood.org/charles<http://www.medievalwood.org/charles>

              www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/oakley/<http://www.livinghistory.co
              .uk/homepages/oakley/> or

              http://www.oakley.circlewolf.org/<http://www.oakley.circlewolf.org/>

              > These are all the same thing... just different locations. You
              didn't mention any particular time period or culture so I don't know
              if this stuff would work for you... but help yourself if it
              does... I'm sure you'll get lots of other leads.

              > Lillies, eh? What kingdom do you hail from and where about this
              Known World do you call home?

              > Chas.
            • jkjeys
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 2 7:42 PM
                Thank you the link did provide me with some inspiration and ideas
                for some items that I had overlooked.

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Rettie" <tom@h...>
                wrote:
                > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "jkjeys" <JonJeys@k...>
                > wrote:
                > > I have browsed
                > > some of the albums and would like to say I am very impressed by
                > the
                > > groups abilitys. As I am new the SCA I would appreciate any help
                > in
                > > direction on furniture for our time period, and storage.
                >
                > Jon,
                >
                > You might find some inspiration here:
                >
                > http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/campstuff.html
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Tom
                > (Fin)
              • Joseph Hayes
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 3 5:13 AM
                  I looked in "Oak Furniture" by Chinnery last night. Nothing pictured
                  was pre-1600. There was a written reference to a "falling table" in
                  15-something, but nothing conclusive.

                  Ulrich

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 3 11:52 AM
                    Random advice: Don't buy chisel or gouge sets. Here's how chisels and
                    gouges work.

                    You will have your favorite. You will use it for almost everything. It
                    will cut well, be comfortable in your hand, and do most of the work.
                    Then you will have the other one. It somehow won't get as sharp and
                    isn't as easy to use, but it fits where your favorite won't and does a
                    good enough job. And then there will be the big one, that you don't
                    particularly like to use, but does a good job of removing a lot of stock
                    or glue quickly.

                    Other than these three, the rest of the chisels and gouges in your set
                    will just hang out, waiting for the odd job that only they can do.

                    And your money will be tied up in them in the meantime.

                    Buy them one at a time, as you need them.

                    Will
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 3 12:20 PM
                      Congratulations! Now that your child or significant other has become a
                      woodworker, you have a cheap, simple, and easy out for the gift-giving
                      season.

                      I've got one word for you: clamps.

                      How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask? The answer: more. No
                      matter how many you think they have, they can use more.

                      Here is some jargon to get you started: bar clamps, pipe clamps,
                      c-clamps, spring-clamps, I-beam clamps, wooden clamps, Jorgensen clamps.

                      Go to a hardware store or woodworking shop and pick any of those.
                      Always buy clamps in pairs.

                      Clamps can never be the wrong size, wrong color, too cheap, or too
                      expensive. No matter which ones you buy, I promise you, your woodworker
                      will use them.

                      Will
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 3 12:47 PM
                        --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                        > Random advice: Don't buy chisel or gouge sets.
                        > Here's how chisels and
                        > gouges work.
                        >
                        > You will have your favorite.

                        My favorite sat in a drawer for years with
                        a broken wooden handle. I pushed it around
                        the drawer and basically ignored it.

                        then one day,I needed a chisel for
                        a project and all of my chisels were at my
                        father-in-law's getting sharpened ( He is a
                        woodcarver and has sharpening toys I do not.
                        And he willing to put a mirror polish on them...)

                        I pulled this old rusty chisel blade out,
                        roughed out a handle and sharpened it myself.

                        Should have done it YEARS ago.

                        Stays sharp forever and cuts like a dream!

                        =====
                        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                        http://messenger.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 3 12:50 PM
                          I can't argue with this....

                          > How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask?
                          > The answer: more. No
                          > matter how many you think they have, they can use
                          > more.

                          You need on average three more clamos than you
                          have at any one time. Simple fomula....

                          Clamps needed = clamps owned + 3

                          =====
                          Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                          Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                          http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                        • C N Schwartz
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 3 2:10 PM
                            Or you can just do what I've done. Buy that set when you get it offered at
                            a price you can't refuse. I got a huge set of old Buck patternmaker chisels
                            for only $20. A palm chisel carving set for $10. Yup, don't mind all those
                            unused chisels now. The price was right for just a couple of pieces but now
                            I have lots of spares.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 3 2:13 PM
                              Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                              for a lifetime....

                              Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                              die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                              made out of scrap wood.....

                              Congratulations! Now that your child or significant other has become a
                              woodworker, you have a cheap, simple, and easy out for the gift-giving
                              season.

                              I've got one word for you: clamps.

                              How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask? The answer: more. No
                              matter how many you think they have, they can use more.

                              Here is some jargon to get you started: bar clamps, pipe clamps,
                              c-clamps, spring-clamps, I-beam clamps, wooden clamps, Jorgensen clamps.

                              Go to a hardware store or woodworking shop and pick any of those.
                              Always buy clamps in pairs.

                              Clamps can never be the wrong size, wrong color, too cheap, or too
                              expensive. No matter which ones you buy, I promise you, your woodworker
                              will use them.

                              Will
                            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 3 2:15 PM
                                OK you opened the can... I have a 3/4 wood tap, die and plenty of scrap
                                wood. What's next?

                                James Cunningham
                                Worm Herder

                                > Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                                > for a lifetime....
                                >
                                > Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                                > die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                                > made out of scrap wood.....

                              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 3 2:16 PM
                                  OOPs for got to add...and not enought clamps.

                                  James Cunningham
                                • C N Schwartz
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 3 4:29 PM
                                    Handscrews and large 'bar' clamps. To start, make this:

                                    http://www.diydata.com/tool/clamps/hand.jpg

                                    Need any tips? It's 4 pieces. 2 screws, 2 jaws.

                                    In this picture, top left over size hole, top right threaded hole, bottom
                                    left threaded hole, bottom right just a dimple.

                                    OK you opened the can... I have a 3/4 wood tap, die and plenty of scrap
                                    wood. What's next?

                                    James Cunningham
                                    Worm Herder

                                    > Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                                    > for a lifetime....
                                    >
                                    > Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                                    > die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                                    > made out of scrap wood.....

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  • C N Schwartz
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 4 8:44 AM
                                      Ok. I tried.

                                      Even took pictures to post.

                                      But.... I need to find better dowel material or figure out why my wooden die
                                      is crumbling the screw threads. It was the last step, too. Took less than
                                      an hour.

                                      Sorry.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 2, 2004
                                        Maybe I plan better. On average, I need only one more clamp than I
                                        have.

                                        Will

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 2, 2004
                                          <Raised eyebrow>