RE: [MedievalSawdust] Newbie

    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
      Colleagues,
      I have a question I would like to open for casual discussion. Are you
      all familiar with the gate-leg table?
      http://www.americanfurnituredsgn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&S
      tore_Code=AFD&Product_Code=148 shows one design.

      Briefly, the gate-leg table is a folding table, typically assembled with
      two hinged leaves, one on either end, joined to a small, central leaf.
      Properly designed, these tables can be built such that a table eight
      feet long and three feet wide folds into a central unit four feet long,
      three feet wide, and a foot or so thick.

      Very handy for SCA use, yes? One unit, relatively light and compact.

      Trouble is, they're just not period. The earliest one I've seen is from
      1690.

      The joinery, hardware, and construction technology are all quite period
      for Renaissance Italy, Moorish Spain, Elizabethan, and even Tudor
      joiners.

      Would anyone care to speculate why they didn't show up until the
      Colonial era?

      Will
    • kjworz@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004

        Some speculation on why it wasn't seen before 1690, using my alter ego from 800 years ago.

        Too gadgetty.  When you have a table why do you need to make a complicated table?  This plank table with 4 legs works just fine, it's solid <smack> and simple and holds the crockery up off the floor.  Sure that fance table has some use to me as "Generic Medieval Man".  The stow-away-and-make-more-room feature is nice.  Now that I've seen one I want one in my 13th C home.  But if I had never seen one and the need is not so pressing that I feel I am missing out.  If I need room I can always just haul this regular table outside.  A little rain won't hurt it.  Heck I don't even have a Brace to drill holes yet in the 13th C, but my T handled auger does just fine.  It's not that a hand crank is beyond my technology, I just haven't thought it up, really.

        --
        -Chris Schwartz
        Silver Spring, MD

        > Colleagues,
        > I have a question I would like to open for casual discussion. Are you
        > all familiar with the gate-leg table?
        > http://www.americanfurnituredsgn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&S
        > tore_Code=AFD&Product_Code=148 shows one design.
        >
        > Briefly, the gate-leg table is a folding table, typically assembled with
        > two hinged leaves, one on either end, joined to a small, central leaf.
        > Properly designed, these tables can be built such that a table eight
        > feet long and three feet wide folds into a central unit four feet long,
        > three feet wide, and a foot or so thick.
        >
        > Very handy for SCA use, yes? One unit, relatively light and compact.
        >
        > Trouble is, they're just not period. The earliest one I've seen is from
        > 1690.
        >
        > The joinery, hardware, and construction technology are all quite period
        > for Renaissance Italy, Moorish Spain, Elizabethan, and even Tudor
        > joiners.
        >
        > Would anyone care to speculate why they didn't show up until the
        > Colonial era?
        >
        > Will

      • Tom Rettie
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "jkjeys" <JonJeys@k...>
          wrote:
          > I have browsed
          > some of the albums and would like to say I am very impressed by
          the
          > groups abilitys. As I am new the SCA I would appreciate any help
          in
          > direction on furniture for our time period, and storage.

          Jon,

          You might find some inspiration here:

          http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/campstuff.html

          Regards,

          Tom
          (Fin)
        • Gary Halstead
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
            My gut feeling is that there wasn't a need for that kind of furniture
            until living/dining patterns changed in the 17th century. Prior to that
            time, tables are either usually either temporary (e.g. on trestles) or
            fairly massive affairs. There are a number of extant folding/expanding
            tables from the 15th and 16th centuries, but they're on the large and
            heavy side.

            Ranulf

            PS - Windisch-Graetz has a gateleg table dated 1625-1650.

            Bill McNutt wrote:
            > Colleagues,
            > I have a question I would like to open for casual discussion. Are you
            > all familiar with the gate-leg table?

            <snip>.

            > Trouble is, they're just not period. The earliest one I've seen is from
            > 1690.

            <snip>

            > Would anyone care to speculate why they didn't show up until the
            > Colonial era?
            >
            > Will
          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
              --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
              > Would anyone care to speculate why they [gate leg tables] didn't show
              > up until the Colonial era?

              Anyone have quick access to "Oak Furniture" by Chinnery. He may not
              have a picture of a period one, but he often quotes written references
              (ie, wills, etc).

              If nobody posts before I get home, I'll look it up then.

              Ulrich

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
            • James Winkler
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                Gate let tables gadgetty?   Plank tables more useful???   Tables temporary???

                Hummm...  maybe... but, when ya' look at period fauldstools, gastonbury chairs... wheel barrows and broad diversity of other things that existed in different corners of medieval history... the other things we know they DID have...  as Will pointed out... the technology was there.  But it seems to me that either they just didn't put the tinkertoys together in the right way where somebody said, "Hey, wow...  look... it’s a GATELEG table."... or maybe they did and such things didn't survive into the historic record.  (Think about it... other than the rather famous picture of Joseph and the mousetraps...  anybody seen any other example of the existence of a period mousetrap???)

                I think Ranulf probably is closest with his observations...  although there is no way of knowing for sure...  I'd say that the cultural development and tastes of the time hadn't necessitated the gate leg table... tastes hadn't gotten to the point where somebody said, "Hey, wouldn't it be neat to have a table where you could lift up a hinged side, stick a prop under it and make the table bigger!!"

                On the other hand I didn't think that porta-potties were period either until I ran across an illustration that showed a textile merchant area and... whadda'know... right there in the middle was a porta-potty.   Nice little seat with a short back and a little door that would open and allow you to put the chamber pot under that rather distinctive one big round oval hole in the seat... ;-D    I REALLY gotta' make one some day...

                The first rule of design is...  "Form follows function."   Maybe it’s the second behind, "If you want to draw a straight line... use a ruler."...  I've never kept em' that straight in my mind...   So, by taking that same law and playing with it a bit... on can extrapolate the law, "Function defines form"...  if the functional need for whatever the complete set of functions a gate leg table provides didn't exist... its reasonable to propose that as being the reason the gate leg table doesn't exist...  on the other hand... they might just not have though about it.

                But... I'm bettin' that, now that this has been brought to the collective consciousness of this fun group, it probably won't be too terribly long before SOMEBODY here goes, "Ya' know... I was leafing through this book the other night and guess what I found..."   (Heck... Ranulf has already pushed the date back about 50 years from the earliest Will's found!!!!)

                Chas.

              • Chris Larsson (Hrelgar)
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                  > > Would anyone care to speculate why they [gate leg tables] didn't show
                  > > up until the Colonial era?

                  just my own guess but if one is rich enough for such a table, then you
                  probably don't need a dual use table, and you have plenty of space for
                  dedicated tables. So the idea never occurred to anyone, or if it did,
                  he said, "why bother".

                  I'd also vote for the fact that only a tiny fraction of medieval
                  furniture survived intact or in art.

                  Chris
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004

                    > (If you visit my sight you'll notice some plans for
                    > folding chairs/stools... the critical piece on these
                    > chairs are the dowel pins that hold it all together
                    > and allow these pieces to fold up... get em' wet...
                    > the whole 'folding thing' ceases to work...

                    Yep, my folding stool wouldn't fold for
                    about four days after Pennsic. '

                    Red Oak - no finish....

                    =====
                    Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                    Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                    http://messenger.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                      --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

                      > --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
                      > > Would anyone care to speculate why they [gate leg
                      > tables] didn't show
                      > > up until the Colonial era?

                      You might also want to consider who
                      might want a folding table....

                      Would someone that had the space and
                      money for extra tables needed something
                      of this nature?

                      More later.... I'm tired....

                      =====
                      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                        (Think about it... other than the
                        > rather famous picture of Joseph and the
                        > mousetraps... anybody seen any other example of the
                        > existence of a period mousetrap???)

                        No, I've looked... a lot.
                        I've emailed curators....

                        =====
                        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      • jkjeys
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                          My wife and I belong to Calontir. We have joined the Dunard shire.
                          My wife is doing english and I am doing scottish. I felt it was a
                          natural since we have a dog who would pass as a sheep. We live in
                          Platte City Mo. It is 20 miles north of Kansas city. I have looked
                          over your links and I appreciate the information

                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
                          <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
                          > Hey Jon... welcome to the list... just so happens that, if
                          you're looking for furniture and storage stuff... ya' came to a good
                          place.

                          > I'd offer you the stuff I have on-line... check out...
                          >
                          > www.medievalwood.org/charles<http://www.medievalwood.org/charles>

                          www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/oakley/<http://www.livinghistory.co
                          .uk/homepages/oakley/> or

                          http://www.oakley.circlewolf.org/<http://www.oakley.circlewolf.org/>

                          > These are all the same thing... just different locations. You
                          didn't mention any particular time period or culture so I don't know
                          if this stuff would work for you... but help yourself if it
                          does... I'm sure you'll get lots of other leads.

                          > Lillies, eh? What kingdom do you hail from and where about this
                          Known World do you call home?

                          > Chas.
                        • jkjeys
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                            Thank you the link did provide me with some inspiration and ideas
                            for some items that I had overlooked.

                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Rettie" <tom@h...>
                            wrote:
                            > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "jkjeys" <JonJeys@k...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > I have browsed
                            > > some of the albums and would like to say I am very impressed by
                            > the
                            > > groups abilitys. As I am new the SCA I would appreciate any help
                            > in
                            > > direction on furniture for our time period, and storage.
                            >
                            > Jon,
                            >
                            > You might find some inspiration here:
                            >
                            > http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/campstuff.html
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Tom
                            > (Fin)
                          • Joseph Hayes
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                              I looked in "Oak Furniture" by Chinnery last night. Nothing pictured
                              was pre-1600. There was a written reference to a "falling table" in
                              15-something, but nothing conclusive.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                Random advice: Don't buy chisel or gouge sets. Here's how chisels and
                                gouges work.

                                You will have your favorite. You will use it for almost everything. It
                                will cut well, be comfortable in your hand, and do most of the work.
                                Then you will have the other one. It somehow won't get as sharp and
                                isn't as easy to use, but it fits where your favorite won't and does a
                                good enough job. And then there will be the big one, that you don't
                                particularly like to use, but does a good job of removing a lot of stock
                                or glue quickly.

                                Other than these three, the rest of the chisels and gouges in your set
                                will just hang out, waiting for the odd job that only they can do.

                                And your money will be tied up in them in the meantime.

                                Buy them one at a time, as you need them.

                                Will
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                  Congratulations! Now that your child or significant other has become a
                                  woodworker, you have a cheap, simple, and easy out for the gift-giving
                                  season.

                                  I've got one word for you: clamps.

                                  How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask? The answer: more. No
                                  matter how many you think they have, they can use more.

                                  Here is some jargon to get you started: bar clamps, pipe clamps,
                                  c-clamps, spring-clamps, I-beam clamps, wooden clamps, Jorgensen clamps.

                                  Go to a hardware store or woodworking shop and pick any of those.
                                  Always buy clamps in pairs.

                                  Clamps can never be the wrong size, wrong color, too cheap, or too
                                  expensive. No matter which ones you buy, I promise you, your woodworker
                                  will use them.

                                  Will
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                    --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                                    > Random advice: Don't buy chisel or gouge sets.
                                    > Here's how chisels and
                                    > gouges work.
                                    >
                                    > You will have your favorite.

                                    My favorite sat in a drawer for years with
                                    a broken wooden handle. I pushed it around
                                    the drawer and basically ignored it.

                                    then one day,I needed a chisel for
                                    a project and all of my chisels were at my
                                    father-in-law's getting sharpened ( He is a
                                    woodcarver and has sharpening toys I do not.
                                    And he willing to put a mirror polish on them...)

                                    I pulled this old rusty chisel blade out,
                                    roughed out a handle and sharpened it myself.

                                    Should have done it YEARS ago.

                                    Stays sharp forever and cuts like a dream!

                                    =====
                                    Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                    Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                                    http://messenger.yahoo.com
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                      I can't argue with this....

                                      > How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask?
                                      > The answer: more. No
                                      > matter how many you think they have, they can use
                                      > more.

                                      You need on average three more clamos than you
                                      have at any one time. Simple fomula....

                                      Clamps needed = clamps owned + 3

                                      =====
                                      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                                    • C N Schwartz
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                        Or you can just do what I've done. Buy that set when you get it offered at
                                        a price you can't refuse. I got a huge set of old Buck patternmaker chisels
                                        for only $20. A palm chisel carving set for $10. Yup, don't mind all those
                                        unused chisels now. The price was right for just a couple of pieces but now
                                        I have lots of spares.

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                          Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                                          for a lifetime....

                                          Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                                          die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                                          made out of scrap wood.....

                                          Congratulations! Now that your child or significant other has become a
                                          woodworker, you have a cheap, simple, and easy out for the gift-giving
                                          season.

                                          I've got one word for you: clamps.

                                          How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask? The answer: more. No
                                          matter how many you think they have, they can use more.

                                          Here is some jargon to get you started: bar clamps, pipe clamps,
                                          c-clamps, spring-clamps, I-beam clamps, wooden clamps, Jorgensen clamps.

                                          Go to a hardware store or woodworking shop and pick any of those.
                                          Always buy clamps in pairs.

                                          Clamps can never be the wrong size, wrong color, too cheap, or too
                                          expensive. No matter which ones you buy, I promise you, your woodworker
                                          will use them.

                                          Will
                                        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                            OK you opened the can... I have a 3/4 wood tap, die and plenty of scrap
                                            wood. What's next?

                                            James Cunningham
                                            Worm Herder

                                            > Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                                            > for a lifetime....
                                            >
                                            > Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                                            > die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                                            > made out of scrap wood.....

                                          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                              OOPs for got to add...and not enought clamps.

                                              James Cunningham
                                            • C N Schwartz
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                                Handscrews and large 'bar' clamps. To start, make this:

                                                http://www.diydata.com/tool/clamps/hand.jpg

                                                Need any tips? It's 4 pieces. 2 screws, 2 jaws.

                                                In this picture, top left over size hole, top right threaded hole, bottom
                                                left threaded hole, bottom right just a dimple.

                                                OK you opened the can... I have a 3/4 wood tap, die and plenty of scrap
                                                wood. What's next?

                                                James Cunningham
                                                Worm Herder

                                                > Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                                                > for a lifetime....
                                                >
                                                > Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                                                > die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                                                > made out of scrap wood.....

                                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                                              • C N Schwartz
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 4, 2004
                                                  Ok. I tried.

                                                  Even took pictures to post.

                                                  But.... I need to find better dowel material or figure out why my wooden die
                                                  is crumbling the screw threads. It was the last step, too. Took less than
                                                  an hour.

                                                  Sorry.

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Oct 2, 2004
                                                    Maybe I plan better. On average, I need only one more clamp than I
                                                    have.

                                                    Will

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Oct 2, 2004
                                                      <Raised eyebrow>