Re: [MedievalSawdust] Newbie

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
      Will hits some REALLY good points...  #4 really hit something in my own head...  When m'lady and I started planning out the furniture for our pavilion we did two things...

      1: we set up the pavilion and measured it...
      2: we took the vehicle we were going to haul all this stuff in an measure the space there...

      I know this sounds silly... but when we built the stuff (particularly the 6 board chests we keep our clothes in) subtle modifications from 'the original' were made to accommodate these realities...  like wheel wells in the bed of a pickup.  A change of about 1/2" in the height of the leg allowed the chest to straddle the wheel well putting this 'dead space' under the chest...  Oh... and it’s a bit over 4' between the wells inside the bed of the truck...  this means that, if ya' don't want to have to hoist em' OVER the well humps every time you put the chests in or out of the truck...  you build em' at about 4' long on the nose...

      Also... like interior decorating...  have an idea of what you NEED for the inside of your pavilion and what you 'look' you're going after before you start...  Imagine yourself back in the middle ages... you're heading from the North-of-where-ever to the South-of-where-ever...  you have a wagon and one horse...  or three wagons and six horses... and help...  what do you need to do to transport your earthly possessions on this epic journey?

      Oh... and LEGS on things are good...  boxes that sit on the ground are sponges when it rains and your pavilion suddenly develops 'running water' as it flows in from one side... and, hopefully, out the other...  (... and RAIN HAPPENS at events... the longer the event...the greater the possibility you'll have a wet floor)...   the less you have sitting on the floor the less you'll feel like throwing away at the end of Pennsic.  (There is always the rubbermaid option for under the bed... but if you're really gonna' go 'period'... this option looses its appeal rather quickly...).

      Oh... and one other MAJOR consideration...  as I noted above... RAIN HAPPENS...  when you're building your stuff remember that wood swells...  get it wet enough and even the loosest joints WON'T COME APART...   recommendations:

      1: GOOD FINISH (marine varnish, maintained oil/wax finishes, etc...) this will HELP to reduce water absorption and wood swelling...

      2:  JOINTS that are designed to come apart (possibly with the assistance of a mallet... which is always a VERY GOOD THING to carry with you...) under adverse conditions...

      3: Plan on extra space in your wagon to put the one or two things that might not ... ummm... be as compact going home as they were going to the event...

      (If you visit my sight you'll notice some plans for folding chairs/stools... the critical piece on these chairs are the dowel pins that hold it all together and allow these pieces to fold up...  get em' wet... the whole 'folding thing' ceases to work...  and now you've got a seat that is going to occupy a LOT more space in your vehicle than it did before...  and a piece that took enough time to build that one is not necessarily inclined to 'leave it' or 'gift it' to somebody else so you don't have to deal with it...)

      Just some more thoughts -
      Chas.

      Newbie advice item the first:
      Before undertaking a project, answer four questions:
      1) How am I going to get it out of the shop.  (Don't laugh.  It's an old
      joke, but I've seen people get burned building items too big to fit
      through the door of their workshop.)
      2) How am I going to lift it?  I've built a couple of panel chests that,
      when loaded, weigh over 120 lbs. (They were to client specifications, in
      spite of my advice.)  That's too heavy for one person to move
      conveniently.
      3) Where am I going to store it? Does your house/apartment/storage
      trailer have space for that vargueno?
      4) How am I going to haul it?  (Ok.  Nice replica of the Great Bed of
      Ware, but I drive a Geo Metro!)

      Will

      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
        Colleagues,
        I have a question I would like to open for casual discussion. Are you
        all familiar with the gate-leg table?
        http://www.americanfurnituredsgn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&S
        tore_Code=AFD&Product_Code=148 shows one design.

        Briefly, the gate-leg table is a folding table, typically assembled with
        two hinged leaves, one on either end, joined to a small, central leaf.
        Properly designed, these tables can be built such that a table eight
        feet long and three feet wide folds into a central unit four feet long,
        three feet wide, and a foot or so thick.

        Very handy for SCA use, yes? One unit, relatively light and compact.

        Trouble is, they're just not period. The earliest one I've seen is from
        1690.

        The joinery, hardware, and construction technology are all quite period
        for Renaissance Italy, Moorish Spain, Elizabethan, and even Tudor
        joiners.

        Would anyone care to speculate why they didn't show up until the
        Colonial era?

        Will
      • kjworz@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004

          Some speculation on why it wasn't seen before 1690, using my alter ego from 800 years ago.

          Too gadgetty.  When you have a table why do you need to make a complicated table?  This plank table with 4 legs works just fine, it's solid <smack> and simple and holds the crockery up off the floor.  Sure that fance table has some use to me as "Generic Medieval Man".  The stow-away-and-make-more-room feature is nice.  Now that I've seen one I want one in my 13th C home.  But if I had never seen one and the need is not so pressing that I feel I am missing out.  If I need room I can always just haul this regular table outside.  A little rain won't hurt it.  Heck I don't even have a Brace to drill holes yet in the 13th C, but my T handled auger does just fine.  It's not that a hand crank is beyond my technology, I just haven't thought it up, really.

          --
          -Chris Schwartz
          Silver Spring, MD

          > Colleagues,
          > I have a question I would like to open for casual discussion. Are you
          > all familiar with the gate-leg table?
          > http://www.americanfurnituredsgn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&S
          > tore_Code=AFD&Product_Code=148 shows one design.
          >
          > Briefly, the gate-leg table is a folding table, typically assembled with
          > two hinged leaves, one on either end, joined to a small, central leaf.
          > Properly designed, these tables can be built such that a table eight
          > feet long and three feet wide folds into a central unit four feet long,
          > three feet wide, and a foot or so thick.
          >
          > Very handy for SCA use, yes? One unit, relatively light and compact.
          >
          > Trouble is, they're just not period. The earliest one I've seen is from
          > 1690.
          >
          > The joinery, hardware, and construction technology are all quite period
          > for Renaissance Italy, Moorish Spain, Elizabethan, and even Tudor
          > joiners.
          >
          > Would anyone care to speculate why they didn't show up until the
          > Colonial era?
          >
          > Will

        • Tom Rettie
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "jkjeys" <JonJeys@k...>
            wrote:
            > I have browsed
            > some of the albums and would like to say I am very impressed by
            the
            > groups abilitys. As I am new the SCA I would appreciate any help
            in
            > direction on furniture for our time period, and storage.

            Jon,

            You might find some inspiration here:

            http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/campstuff.html

            Regards,

            Tom
            (Fin)
          • Gary Halstead
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
              My gut feeling is that there wasn't a need for that kind of furniture
              until living/dining patterns changed in the 17th century. Prior to that
              time, tables are either usually either temporary (e.g. on trestles) or
              fairly massive affairs. There are a number of extant folding/expanding
              tables from the 15th and 16th centuries, but they're on the large and
              heavy side.

              Ranulf

              PS - Windisch-Graetz has a gateleg table dated 1625-1650.

              Bill McNutt wrote:
              > Colleagues,
              > I have a question I would like to open for casual discussion. Are you
              > all familiar with the gate-leg table?

              <snip>.

              > Trouble is, they're just not period. The earliest one I've seen is from
              > 1690.

              <snip>

              > Would anyone care to speculate why they didn't show up until the
              > Colonial era?
              >
              > Will
            • Joseph Hayes
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
                > Would anyone care to speculate why they [gate leg tables] didn't show
                > up until the Colonial era?

                Anyone have quick access to "Oak Furniture" by Chinnery. He may not
                have a picture of a period one, but he often quotes written references
                (ie, wills, etc).

                If nobody posts before I get home, I'll look it up then.

                Ulrich

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
              • James Winkler
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                  Gate let tables gadgetty?   Plank tables more useful???   Tables temporary???

                  Hummm...  maybe... but, when ya' look at period fauldstools, gastonbury chairs... wheel barrows and broad diversity of other things that existed in different corners of medieval history... the other things we know they DID have...  as Will pointed out... the technology was there.  But it seems to me that either they just didn't put the tinkertoys together in the right way where somebody said, "Hey, wow...  look... it’s a GATELEG table."... or maybe they did and such things didn't survive into the historic record.  (Think about it... other than the rather famous picture of Joseph and the mousetraps...  anybody seen any other example of the existence of a period mousetrap???)

                  I think Ranulf probably is closest with his observations...  although there is no way of knowing for sure...  I'd say that the cultural development and tastes of the time hadn't necessitated the gate leg table... tastes hadn't gotten to the point where somebody said, "Hey, wouldn't it be neat to have a table where you could lift up a hinged side, stick a prop under it and make the table bigger!!"

                  On the other hand I didn't think that porta-potties were period either until I ran across an illustration that showed a textile merchant area and... whadda'know... right there in the middle was a porta-potty.   Nice little seat with a short back and a little door that would open and allow you to put the chamber pot under that rather distinctive one big round oval hole in the seat... ;-D    I REALLY gotta' make one some day...

                  The first rule of design is...  "Form follows function."   Maybe it’s the second behind, "If you want to draw a straight line... use a ruler."...  I've never kept em' that straight in my mind...   So, by taking that same law and playing with it a bit... on can extrapolate the law, "Function defines form"...  if the functional need for whatever the complete set of functions a gate leg table provides didn't exist... its reasonable to propose that as being the reason the gate leg table doesn't exist...  on the other hand... they might just not have though about it.

                  But... I'm bettin' that, now that this has been brought to the collective consciousness of this fun group, it probably won't be too terribly long before SOMEBODY here goes, "Ya' know... I was leafing through this book the other night and guess what I found..."   (Heck... Ranulf has already pushed the date back about 50 years from the earliest Will's found!!!!)

                  Chas.

                • Chris Larsson (Hrelgar)
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                    > > Would anyone care to speculate why they [gate leg tables] didn't show
                    > > up until the Colonial era?

                    just my own guess but if one is rich enough for such a table, then you
                    probably don't need a dual use table, and you have plenty of space for
                    dedicated tables. So the idea never occurred to anyone, or if it did,
                    he said, "why bother".

                    I'd also vote for the fact that only a tiny fraction of medieval
                    furniture survived intact or in art.

                    Chris
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004

                      > (If you visit my sight you'll notice some plans for
                      > folding chairs/stools... the critical piece on these
                      > chairs are the dowel pins that hold it all together
                      > and allow these pieces to fold up... get em' wet...
                      > the whole 'folding thing' ceases to work...

                      Yep, my folding stool wouldn't fold for
                      about four days after Pennsic. '

                      Red Oak - no finish....

                      =====
                      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                      http://messenger.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                        --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

                        > --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
                        > > Would anyone care to speculate why they [gate leg
                        > tables] didn't show
                        > > up until the Colonial era?

                        You might also want to consider who
                        might want a folding table....

                        Would someone that had the space and
                        money for extra tables needed something
                        of this nature?

                        More later.... I'm tired....

                        =====
                        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                          (Think about it... other than the
                          > rather famous picture of Joseph and the
                          > mousetraps... anybody seen any other example of the
                          > existence of a period mousetrap???)

                          No, I've looked... a lot.
                          I've emailed curators....

                          =====
                          Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                          Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                        • jkjeys
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                            My wife and I belong to Calontir. We have joined the Dunard shire.
                            My wife is doing english and I am doing scottish. I felt it was a
                            natural since we have a dog who would pass as a sheep. We live in
                            Platte City Mo. It is 20 miles north of Kansas city. I have looked
                            over your links and I appreciate the information

                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
                            <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
                            > Hey Jon... welcome to the list... just so happens that, if
                            you're looking for furniture and storage stuff... ya' came to a good
                            place.

                            > I'd offer you the stuff I have on-line... check out...
                            >
                            > www.medievalwood.org/charles<http://www.medievalwood.org/charles>

                            www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/oakley/<http://www.livinghistory.co
                            .uk/homepages/oakley/> or

                            http://www.oakley.circlewolf.org/<http://www.oakley.circlewolf.org/>

                            > These are all the same thing... just different locations. You
                            didn't mention any particular time period or culture so I don't know
                            if this stuff would work for you... but help yourself if it
                            does... I'm sure you'll get lots of other leads.

                            > Lillies, eh? What kingdom do you hail from and where about this
                            Known World do you call home?

                            > Chas.
                          • jkjeys
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                              Thank you the link did provide me with some inspiration and ideas
                              for some items that I had overlooked.

                              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Rettie" <tom@h...>
                              wrote:
                              > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "jkjeys" <JonJeys@k...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > I have browsed
                              > > some of the albums and would like to say I am very impressed by
                              > the
                              > > groups abilitys. As I am new the SCA I would appreciate any help
                              > in
                              > > direction on furniture for our time period, and storage.
                              >
                              > Jon,
                              >
                              > You might find some inspiration here:
                              >
                              > http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/campstuff.html
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              >
                              > Tom
                              > (Fin)
                            • Joseph Hayes
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                I looked in "Oak Furniture" by Chinnery last night. Nothing pictured
                                was pre-1600. There was a written reference to a "falling table" in
                                15-something, but nothing conclusive.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                  Random advice: Don't buy chisel or gouge sets. Here's how chisels and
                                  gouges work.

                                  You will have your favorite. You will use it for almost everything. It
                                  will cut well, be comfortable in your hand, and do most of the work.
                                  Then you will have the other one. It somehow won't get as sharp and
                                  isn't as easy to use, but it fits where your favorite won't and does a
                                  good enough job. And then there will be the big one, that you don't
                                  particularly like to use, but does a good job of removing a lot of stock
                                  or glue quickly.

                                  Other than these three, the rest of the chisels and gouges in your set
                                  will just hang out, waiting for the odd job that only they can do.

                                  And your money will be tied up in them in the meantime.

                                  Buy them one at a time, as you need them.

                                  Will
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                    Congratulations! Now that your child or significant other has become a
                                    woodworker, you have a cheap, simple, and easy out for the gift-giving
                                    season.

                                    I've got one word for you: clamps.

                                    How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask? The answer: more. No
                                    matter how many you think they have, they can use more.

                                    Here is some jargon to get you started: bar clamps, pipe clamps,
                                    c-clamps, spring-clamps, I-beam clamps, wooden clamps, Jorgensen clamps.

                                    Go to a hardware store or woodworking shop and pick any of those.
                                    Always buy clamps in pairs.

                                    Clamps can never be the wrong size, wrong color, too cheap, or too
                                    expensive. No matter which ones you buy, I promise you, your woodworker
                                    will use them.

                                    Will
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                      --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                                      > Random advice: Don't buy chisel or gouge sets.
                                      > Here's how chisels and
                                      > gouges work.
                                      >
                                      > You will have your favorite.

                                      My favorite sat in a drawer for years with
                                      a broken wooden handle. I pushed it around
                                      the drawer and basically ignored it.

                                      then one day,I needed a chisel for
                                      a project and all of my chisels were at my
                                      father-in-law's getting sharpened ( He is a
                                      woodcarver and has sharpening toys I do not.
                                      And he willing to put a mirror polish on them...)

                                      I pulled this old rusty chisel blade out,
                                      roughed out a handle and sharpened it myself.

                                      Should have done it YEARS ago.

                                      Stays sharp forever and cuts like a dream!

                                      =====
                                      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                                      http://messenger.yahoo.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                        I can't argue with this....

                                        > How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask?
                                        > The answer: more. No
                                        > matter how many you think they have, they can use
                                        > more.

                                        You need on average three more clamos than you
                                        have at any one time. Simple fomula....

                                        Clamps needed = clamps owned + 3

                                        =====
                                        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                                      • C N Schwartz
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                          Or you can just do what I've done. Buy that set when you get it offered at
                                          a price you can't refuse. I got a huge set of old Buck patternmaker chisels
                                          for only $20. A palm chisel carving set for $10. Yup, don't mind all those
                                          unused chisels now. The price was right for just a couple of pieces but now
                                          I have lots of spares.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                            Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                                            for a lifetime....

                                            Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                                            die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                                            made out of scrap wood.....

                                            Congratulations! Now that your child or significant other has become a
                                            woodworker, you have a cheap, simple, and easy out for the gift-giving
                                            season.

                                            I've got one word for you: clamps.

                                            How many clamps can one woodworker need, you ask? The answer: more. No
                                            matter how many you think they have, they can use more.

                                            Here is some jargon to get you started: bar clamps, pipe clamps,
                                            c-clamps, spring-clamps, I-beam clamps, wooden clamps, Jorgensen clamps.

                                            Go to a hardware store or woodworking shop and pick any of those.
                                            Always buy clamps in pairs.

                                            Clamps can never be the wrong size, wrong color, too cheap, or too
                                            expensive. No matter which ones you buy, I promise you, your woodworker
                                            will use them.

                                            Will
                                          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                              OK you opened the can... I have a 3/4 wood tap, die and plenty of scrap
                                              wood. What's next?

                                              James Cunningham
                                              Worm Herder

                                              > Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                                              > for a lifetime....
                                              >
                                              > Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                                              > die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                                              > made out of scrap wood.....

                                            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                                OOPs for got to add...and not enought clamps.

                                                James Cunningham
                                              • C N Schwartz
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 3, 2004
                                                  Handscrews and large 'bar' clamps. To start, make this:

                                                  http://www.diydata.com/tool/clamps/hand.jpg

                                                  Need any tips? It's 4 pieces. 2 screws, 2 jaws.

                                                  In this picture, top left over size hole, top right threaded hole, bottom
                                                  left threaded hole, bottom right just a dimple.

                                                  OK you opened the can... I have a 3/4 wood tap, die and plenty of scrap
                                                  wood. What's next?

                                                  James Cunningham
                                                  Worm Herder

                                                  > Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats
                                                  > for a lifetime....
                                                  >
                                                  > Give a man clamps and he glues for a small project. Give a man a tap and
                                                  > die for 5/8th inch wood thread and he'll bury himself in homemade clamps
                                                  > made out of scrap wood.....

                                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                • C N Schwartz
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Sep 4, 2004
                                                    Ok. I tried.

                                                    Even took pictures to post.

                                                    But.... I need to find better dowel material or figure out why my wooden die
                                                    is crumbling the screw threads. It was the last step, too. Took less than
                                                    an hour.

                                                    Sorry.

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Oct 2, 2004
                                                      Maybe I plan better. On average, I need only one more clamp than I
                                                      have.

                                                      Will

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Oct 2, 2004
                                                        <Raised eyebrow>