End grain turning...

  • jrwinkler@msn.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2002
       Bran basically has the right of it…  spindle gouges are basically not useful… if ya' look at the profile of a spindle or roughing gouge you'll find that it tapers back at a much more acute angle than a thumbnail gouge… and the gouge itself (if it’s a good one) doesn't have the material thickness that bowl gouges or thumbnail gouges have…   Most of the useful interior turning tools I use are modified versions of roundnose scrapers and designed for interior turning… rule of thumb… the thicker the material the better.
      The next trick is the angle of the cut.   When you're turning spindles the general rule of thumb is that the rest is roughly set at the centerline of the piece…    problem with interior turning is that the angle of the edge on the tool generally doesn't work that well if you try to cut near the centerline (horizontal plane).   Try setting your rest a bit below the centerline and tilting your tool to a slightly upward angle….  this should increase the amount of sheer… and reduce the 'scraping' action.
      Actually… with the interior turning I've done, when I start by making a small hollow at the center and then work outside to center.  Rule of thumb:  Always move your tools down hill…    there are time when I work back… but generally outside in.   I've read some books on turning and the one big consistency seems to be, "What ever works for you is the right approach…"…  sigh…
      By the way… I was down at Barnes and Nobel this afternoon and found a children's book… "Old McDonald had a Woodshop"…  (… or something very close to that)…  thought of this list when I saw it…
      Bran wrote:
        From what I've read, though, it goes more smoothly if you use a hook tool or a hollowing tool.  If you're using a gouge, it looks like you should start a hollow in the center and then lever the gouge nose horizontally, cutting with the grain as much as you can, pushing to the outside to increase the hollow diameter.  Rotate the gouge to get a shear-scraping presentation.