RE: [MedievalSawdust] Polygon Pole

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
      Does that give you a regular hexagon?

      Bill McNutt
      Technology Coordinator
      Southern LINCS Regional Technology Center

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
        Yes, it will. From the old corners that get "moved in" by the cut, you make
        the angle more obtuse by 30 degrees, giving you a 120 degree corner. the
        new corners created out of the centerline of the stock start at a straight
        line(180 degrees) and are made more acute with two 30 degree portions
        removed, so they are also 120 degrees in the end. equal angles = equal
        sides, so you have a regular hexagon.

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
          I'll make a note of that.

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
            > anyone know how to get a hexagon pole?

            I think it was said earlier.... All polygons add up to 360 degrees.
            If you have 6 sides, each of the six angles must be 60 degrees.

            To lay out a hexagon on the endgrain, find the center and draw a circle
            using a compass. Set the point of the compass on the line somewhere
            then scribe another spot on the circle. Move the compass to that point
            and repeat all the way around and you'll come up with six points.

            Ulrich

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • davidgiles.rm
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 24, 2004
              robert
              here's a simple solution draw an octagon the size that fits your
              purpose then transfer to the wood being used,.it will be alot easier
              drawing on paper, place center of drawing at center of your
              stock ,then set your saw to cut lines ,leave lines for finishing
              guides.
              david

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "robert frazier"