RE: [MedievalSawdust] Polygon Pole

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
      6 sides? I do octagons on my ts starting with square stock, but I have
      no idea how to come up with a hexagon.

      Bill McNutt
      Technology Coordinator
      Southern LINCS Regional Technology Center

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
        Does that give you a regular hexagon?

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
          Yes, it will. From the old corners that get "moved in" by the cut, you make
          the angle more obtuse by 30 degrees, giving you a 120 degree corner. the
          new corners created out of the centerline of the stock start at a straight
          line(180 degrees) and are made more acute with two 30 degree portions
          removed, so they are also 120 degrees in the end. equal angles = equal
          sides, so you have a regular hexagon.

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
            I'll make a note of that.

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
              > anyone know how to get a hexagon pole?

              I think it was said earlier.... All polygons add up to 360 degrees.
              If you have 6 sides, each of the six angles must be 60 degrees.

              To lay out a hexagon on the endgrain, find the center and draw a circle
              using a compass. Set the point of the compass on the line somewhere
              then scribe another spot on the circle. Move the compass to that point
              and repeat all the way around and you'll come up with six points.

              Ulrich

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • davidgiles.rm
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 24, 2004
                robert
                here's a simple solution draw an octagon the size that fits your
                purpose then transfer to the wood being used,.it will be alot easier
                drawing on paper, place center of drawing at center of your
                stock ,then set your saw to cut lines ,leave lines for finishing
                guides.
                david

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "robert frazier"