Re: [MedievalSawdust] Polygon Pole

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
      O.k... that works too... ;-D   I love obtuse angles...  gotta' remember the 'cute ones...  [Hey... Conal... WHAT HE SAID...]

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
        6 sides? I do octagons on my ts starting with square stock, but I have
        no idea how to come up with a hexagon.

        Bill McNutt
        Technology Coordinator
        Southern LINCS Regional Technology Center

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
          Does that give you a regular hexagon?

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
            Yes, it will. From the old corners that get "moved in" by the cut, you make
            the angle more obtuse by 30 degrees, giving you a 120 degree corner. the
            new corners created out of the centerline of the stock start at a straight
            line(180 degrees) and are made more acute with two 30 degree portions
            removed, so they are also 120 degrees in the end. equal angles = equal
            sides, so you have a regular hexagon.

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
              I'll make a note of that.

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                > anyone know how to get a hexagon pole?

                I think it was said earlier.... All polygons add up to 360 degrees.
                If you have 6 sides, each of the six angles must be 60 degrees.

                To lay out a hexagon on the endgrain, find the center and draw a circle
                using a compass. Set the point of the compass on the line somewhere
                then scribe another spot on the circle. Move the compass to that point
                and repeat all the way around and you'll come up with six points.

                Ulrich

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • davidgiles.rm
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 24, 2004
                  robert
                  here's a simple solution draw an octagon the size that fits your
                  purpose then transfer to the wood being used,.it will be alot easier
                  drawing on paper, place center of drawing at center of your
                  stock ,then set your saw to cut lines ,leave lines for finishing
                  guides.
                  david

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "robert frazier"