RE: [MedievalSawdust] Polygon Pole

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
      To cut a hexagon, you would cut a line 30 degrees in from the surface, with
      the center of the stock being your point of contact. Do this to both the
      top and bottom of two opposite sides.

    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
        360 deg/6 = 60 deg saw angle...  set yer' fence and rip away...   if yer' brain fried...  try some scraps first to make sure ya' got your fence right... and WATCH YOUR FINGERS!!!

        Chas.

        (Yea... back from Simple Day [brain fry #1]...  practice last night in the 95 deg/200 % humidity [brain fry #2]...  packed the truck for Pennsic this morning... [brain fry #3]...  )  I can empathise...
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
          O.k... that works too... ;-D   I love obtuse angles...  gotta' remember the 'cute ones...  [Hey... Conal... WHAT HE SAID...]

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/LmiolB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
            6 sides? I do octagons on my ts starting with square stock, but I have
            no idea how to come up with a hexagon.

            Bill McNutt
            Technology Coordinator
            Southern LINCS Regional Technology Center

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
              Does that give you a regular hexagon?

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                Yes, it will. From the old corners that get "moved in" by the cut, you make
                the angle more obtuse by 30 degrees, giving you a 120 degree corner. the
                new corners created out of the centerline of the stock start at a straight
                line(180 degrees) and are made more acute with two 30 degree portions
                removed, so they are also 120 degrees in the end. equal angles = equal
                sides, so you have a regular hexagon.

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                  I'll make a note of that.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                    > anyone know how to get a hexagon pole?

                    I think it was said earlier.... All polygons add up to 360 degrees.
                    If you have 6 sides, each of the six angles must be 60 degrees.

                    To lay out a hexagon on the endgrain, find the center and draw a circle
                    using a compass. Set the point of the compass on the line somewhere
                    then scribe another spot on the circle. Move the compass to that point
                    and repeat all the way around and you'll come up with six points.

                    Ulrich

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  • davidgiles.rm
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 24, 2004
                      robert
                      here's a simple solution draw an octagon the size that fits your
                      purpose then transfer to the wood being used,.it will be alot easier
                      drawing on paper, place center of drawing at center of your
                      stock ,then set your saw to cut lines ,leave lines for finishing
                      guides.
                      david

                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "robert frazier"