Polygon Pole

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
      anyone know how to get a ....
      ( crap brained fried, can't remember
      6 sided ) ....hexagon... pole?

      I've heard you can get it on a table
      saw by ripping at various angles, I've
      just never ran across how....

      =====
      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
        To cut a hexagon, you would cut a line 30 degrees in from the surface, with
        the center of the stock being your point of contact. Do this to both the
        top and bottom of two opposite sides.

      • James Winkler
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
          360 deg/6 = 60 deg saw angle...  set yer' fence and rip away...   if yer' brain fried...  try some scraps first to make sure ya' got your fence right... and WATCH YOUR FINGERS!!!

          Chas.

          (Yea... back from Simple Day [brain fry #1]...  practice last night in the 95 deg/200 % humidity [brain fry #2]...  packed the truck for Pennsic this morning... [brain fry #3]...  )  I can empathise...
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
            O.k... that works too... ;-D   I love obtuse angles...  gotta' remember the 'cute ones...  [Hey... Conal... WHAT HE SAID...]

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/LmiolB/TM

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
              6 sides? I do octagons on my ts starting with square stock, but I have
              no idea how to come up with a hexagon.

              Bill McNutt
              Technology Coordinator
              Southern LINCS Regional Technology Center

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                Does that give you a regular hexagon?

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                  Yes, it will. From the old corners that get "moved in" by the cut, you make
                  the angle more obtuse by 30 degrees, giving you a 120 degree corner. the
                  new corners created out of the centerline of the stock start at a straight
                  line(180 degrees) and are made more acute with two 30 degree portions
                  removed, so they are also 120 degrees in the end. equal angles = equal
                  sides, so you have a regular hexagon.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                    I'll make a note of that.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                      > anyone know how to get a hexagon pole?

                      I think it was said earlier.... All polygons add up to 360 degrees.
                      If you have 6 sides, each of the six angles must be 60 degrees.

                      To lay out a hexagon on the endgrain, find the center and draw a circle
                      using a compass. Set the point of the compass on the line somewhere
                      then scribe another spot on the circle. Move the compass to that point
                      and repeat all the way around and you'll come up with six points.

                      Ulrich

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    • davidgiles.rm
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 24, 2004
                        robert
                        here's a simple solution draw an octagon the size that fits your
                        purpose then transfer to the wood being used,.it will be alot easier
                        drawing on paper, place center of drawing at center of your
                        stock ,then set your saw to cut lines ,leave lines for finishing
                        guides.
                        david

                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "robert frazier"