Re: [MedievalSawdust] octagon

  • Dragano Abbruciati
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
      Work from the outside dimensions of a square that is as wide as you want your octagon to be.  The outside measurement of each side of your octagon will be 1/2 the length of one side of your square.  The angle cut will be 22.5 degrees.

      I think...........?

      Good luck

      Dragano

      robert frazier <robertblacksmith@...> wrote:
      hi all!!
      i'm working on a project(oop) and i need to know if there is a
      formula for figuring the sides and such for an octagon.
      i looked on line but all i can find are pay sites.

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
        anyone know how to get a ....
        ( crap brained fried, can't remember
        6 sided ) ....hexagon... pole?

        I've heard you can get it on a table
        saw by ripping at various angles, I've
        just never ran across how....

        =====
        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
          To cut a hexagon, you would cut a line 30 degrees in from the surface, with
          the center of the stock being your point of contact. Do this to both the
          top and bottom of two opposite sides.

        • James Winkler
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
            360 deg/6 = 60 deg saw angle...  set yer' fence and rip away...   if yer' brain fried...  try some scraps first to make sure ya' got your fence right... and WATCH YOUR FINGERS!!!

            Chas.

            (Yea... back from Simple Day [brain fry #1]...  practice last night in the 95 deg/200 % humidity [brain fry #2]...  packed the truck for Pennsic this morning... [brain fry #3]...  )  I can empathise...
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
              O.k... that works too... ;-D   I love obtuse angles...  gotta' remember the 'cute ones...  [Hey... Conal... WHAT HE SAID...]

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/LmiolB/TM

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                6 sides? I do octagons on my ts starting with square stock, but I have
                no idea how to come up with a hexagon.

                Bill McNutt
                Technology Coordinator
                Southern LINCS Regional Technology Center

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                  Does that give you a regular hexagon?

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                    Yes, it will. From the old corners that get "moved in" by the cut, you make
                    the angle more obtuse by 30 degrees, giving you a 120 degree corner. the
                    new corners created out of the centerline of the stock start at a straight
                    line(180 degrees) and are made more acute with two 30 degree portions
                    removed, so they are also 120 degrees in the end. equal angles = equal
                    sides, so you have a regular hexagon.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                      I'll make a note of that.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                        > anyone know how to get a hexagon pole?

                        I think it was said earlier.... All polygons add up to 360 degrees.
                        If you have 6 sides, each of the six angles must be 60 degrees.

                        To lay out a hexagon on the endgrain, find the center and draw a circle
                        using a compass. Set the point of the compass on the line somewhere
                        then scribe another spot on the circle. Move the compass to that point
                        and repeat all the way around and you'll come up with six points.

                        Ulrich

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      • davidgiles.rm
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 24, 2004
                          robert
                          here's a simple solution draw an octagon the size that fits your
                          purpose then transfer to the wood being used,.it will be alot easier
                          drawing on paper, place center of drawing at center of your
                          stock ,then set your saw to cut lines ,leave lines for finishing
                          guides.
                          david

                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "robert frazier"