Re: [MedievalSawdust] octagon

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
      Octagon sides are half the with of the square that they are made of. IE: 4
      inch square pole will make an octagon 2 inches on a side. For an arrow a
      1/2 inch square makes a 1/4 inch on a side octagon or a 1/2 inch dowel.

      James Cunningham

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
          anyone know how to get a ....
          ( crap brained fried, can't remember
          6 sided ) ....hexagon... pole?

          I've heard you can get it on a table
          saw by ripping at various angles, I've
          just never ran across how....

          =====
          Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
            To cut a hexagon, you would cut a line 30 degrees in from the surface, with
            the center of the stock being your point of contact. Do this to both the
            top and bottom of two opposite sides.

          • James Winkler
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
              360 deg/6 = 60 deg saw angle...  set yer' fence and rip away...   if yer' brain fried...  try some scraps first to make sure ya' got your fence right... and WATCH YOUR FINGERS!!!

              Chas.

              (Yea... back from Simple Day [brain fry #1]...  practice last night in the 95 deg/200 % humidity [brain fry #2]...  packed the truck for Pennsic this morning... [brain fry #3]...  )  I can empathise...
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
                O.k... that works too... ;-D   I love obtuse angles...  gotta' remember the 'cute ones...  [Hey... Conal... WHAT HE SAID...]

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/LmiolB/TM

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                  6 sides? I do octagons on my ts starting with square stock, but I have
                  no idea how to come up with a hexagon.

                  Bill McNutt
                  Technology Coordinator
                  Southern LINCS Regional Technology Center

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                    Does that give you a regular hexagon?

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                      Yes, it will. From the old corners that get "moved in" by the cut, you make
                      the angle more obtuse by 30 degrees, giving you a 120 degree corner. the
                      new corners created out of the centerline of the stock start at a straight
                      line(180 degrees) and are made more acute with two 30 degree portions
                      removed, so they are also 120 degrees in the end. equal angles = equal
                      sides, so you have a regular hexagon.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                        I'll make a note of that.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                          > anyone know how to get a hexagon pole?

                          I think it was said earlier.... All polygons add up to 360 degrees.
                          If you have 6 sides, each of the six angles must be 60 degrees.

                          To lay out a hexagon on the endgrain, find the center and draw a circle
                          using a compass. Set the point of the compass on the line somewhere
                          then scribe another spot on the circle. Move the compass to that point
                          and repeat all the way around and you'll come up with six points.

                          Ulrich

                          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                        • davidgiles.rm
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 24, 2004
                            robert
                            here's a simple solution draw an octagon the size that fits your
                            purpose then transfer to the wood being used,.it will be alot easier
                            drawing on paper, place center of drawing at center of your
                            stock ,then set your saw to cut lines ,leave lines for finishing
                            guides.
                            david

                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "robert frazier"