RE: [MedievalSawdust] octagon

  • robert frazier
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
      cool!! thanks. i new it would be strait forward.

      Dan <teffendar@...> wrote:
      Making an octagon: I'm going to assume you're using square stock. If it
      isn't square, make it that way. Divide the length of the side of the square
      by 3.414. measure that amount in from each corner, giving you two marks on
      each side. Connect the two marks from each corner to each other, giving you
      a triangle. the area inside the marks will be a regular octagon.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/LmiolB/TM

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

       Robert Stallarifannskker
      Robert Frazier
      Stallarifannsk household
      Kingdom of An Tir
      Salem ,Oregon

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 3, 2004
        Octagon sides are half the with of the square that they are made of. IE: 4
        inch square pole will make an octagon 2 inches on a side. For an arrow a
        1/2 inch square makes a 1/4 inch on a side octagon or a 1/2 inch dowel.

        James Cunningham

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
            anyone know how to get a ....
            ( crap brained fried, can't remember
            6 sided ) ....hexagon... pole?

            I've heard you can get it on a table
            saw by ripping at various angles, I've
            just never ran across how....

            =====
            Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
            Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
              To cut a hexagon, you would cut a line 30 degrees in from the surface, with
              the center of the stock being your point of contact. Do this to both the
              top and bottom of two opposite sides.

            • James Winkler
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
                360 deg/6 = 60 deg saw angle...  set yer' fence and rip away...   if yer' brain fried...  try some scraps first to make sure ya' got your fence right... and WATCH YOUR FINGERS!!!

                Chas.

                (Yea... back from Simple Day [brain fry #1]...  practice last night in the 95 deg/200 % humidity [brain fry #2]...  packed the truck for Pennsic this morning... [brain fry #3]...  )  I can empathise...
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 4, 2004
                  O.k... that works too... ;-D   I love obtuse angles...  gotta' remember the 'cute ones...  [Hey... Conal... WHAT HE SAID...]

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/LmiolB/TM

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                    6 sides? I do octagons on my ts starting with square stock, but I have
                    no idea how to come up with a hexagon.

                    Bill McNutt
                    Technology Coordinator
                    Southern LINCS Regional Technology Center

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                      Does that give you a regular hexagon?

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                        Yes, it will. From the old corners that get "moved in" by the cut, you make
                        the angle more obtuse by 30 degrees, giving you a 120 degree corner. the
                        new corners created out of the centerline of the stock start at a straight
                        line(180 degrees) and are made more acute with two 30 degree portions
                        removed, so they are also 120 degrees in the end. equal angles = equal
                        sides, so you have a regular hexagon.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                          I'll make a note of that.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
                            > anyone know how to get a hexagon pole?

                            I think it was said earlier.... All polygons add up to 360 degrees.
                            If you have 6 sides, each of the six angles must be 60 degrees.

                            To lay out a hexagon on the endgrain, find the center and draw a circle
                            using a compass. Set the point of the compass on the line somewhere
                            then scribe another spot on the circle. Move the compass to that point
                            and repeat all the way around and you'll come up with six points.

                            Ulrich

                            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                          • davidgiles.rm
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 24, 2004
                              robert
                              here's a simple solution draw an octagon the size that fits your
                              purpose then transfer to the wood being used,.it will be alot easier
                              drawing on paper, place center of drawing at center of your
                              stock ,then set your saw to cut lines ,leave lines for finishing
                              guides.
                              david

                              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "robert frazier"