Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Period stains and finishes

  • Tom Rettie
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 16, 2002
      >Thank God for inter-library loan! Here's the info:
      >http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/walnut_stain.jpg

      Ulrich,

      If you still have it, could you check and see if it includes plans for an
      Elizabethan mousetrap. As I recall there was one or more in that volume,
      but it's been years since I saw it and I may be mis-remembering. It seemed
      like a fun and useless project.

      Thanks,

      Tom R.

      Tom Rettie tom@...
      http://www.his.com/~tom/index.html
    • Brian D. Murphy
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 16, 2002

        Thank God for inter-library loan!  Here's the info:
        http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/walnut_stain.jpg

        Ulrich

        Great find, Ulrich!  Could you please post the publisher info from the volume so that I can use the reference?

        Bran

        Bran Du ap Dafydd
      • Joseph Hayes
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 17, 2002
          --- "Brian D. Murphy" <bmurphy@...> wrote:
          > Could you please post the publisher info from
          > the volume so that I can use the reference?

          Plat, Hugh. _The Jewel House of Art and Nature_. London: Peter Short.
          1594.

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 17, 2002
            > Ulrich,
            >
            > If you still have it, could you check and see if it
            > includes plans for an
            > Elizabethan mousetrap. As I recall there was one or
            > more in that volume,
            > but it's been years since I saw it and I may be
            > mis-remembering. It seemed
            > like a fun and useless project.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Tom R.

            It's kinda funny that you should just happen to
            mention mousetraps.

            Just saw one in a book at lunch today and thought

            I'll throw the full picture into the period
            examples file in the photo section. There are some
            nice tools in the full painting.

            =====

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Tom Rettie
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 9, 2003
              Gee, quiet around here lately...those most be some impressive New Years
              hangovers...

              This is what I'm up to, yet another triangle backstool (preparation for
              tackling a proper turned triangle chair -- lots and lots of non-right-angle
              mortises).

              http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/projects/current.html

              So what are the rest of you up to?

              Regards,

              Thomas
              (Fin)

            • Jim Hart <baronconal@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 9, 2003
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tom Rettie <tom@h...> wrote:
                > Gee, quiet around here lately...those most be some impressive New Years
                > hangovers...

                let's see...

                Chests ( painted and stained ), just got a request for
                a lucent ( spelling? ) thinking seriously about building
                a lathe ( Avery how about a article on building a lathe? )
                got parts for three more mousetraps cut out just need to
                assemble them, working on a bookshelf for the living room
                for all the new books ( including the Medieval Household book
                from the Museum of London )

                and a non-sawdust project is looming....
                new melee/practice armor.

                Anyone else?
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 9, 2003
                  just got a request for
                  > a lucent ( spelling? )

                  oh yeah

                  it's lucet....

                  =====

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Brian D. Murphy

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 9, 2003
                      At 1/9/2003, you wrote:
                      http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/projects/current.html

                      So what are the rest of you up to?

                      Not necessarily medieval but will be a big help when I do a table after the one shown by Roy Underhill.

                      http://pub88.ezboard.com/ftheneotribalmetalsmithsfrm22.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

                      Don Bowen                          donb@...
                      Senior Software Engineer      Valley Center, CA
                    • jrwinkler@msn.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 10, 2003
                        Well… less'ee…  I've been teaching one of the local guys around here some of the gentle art of woodturning, helped another fellow to "reverse engineer" a sheet music chest (modern construction…  they wanted $360 for it in the cateloge… my friend goes, "Hey, we could probably make it for less than that."…  He was correct.  The prototype came in for about $50.00… of course we now have to get the 'nice' woods for the next three we're gonna build… but…  )… and..  doing a little woodturning myself.  The guy who is learning the art found a place where they do raw sawing around here…  it turns out that there are often chunks with blemishes or other things that they aren't happy with and throw on the scrap pile.   Two days ago my friend came by with a chunk of walnut he wanted sawed up into turning blanks…  it was a chunk of walnut (green) 4" thick by 12+" wide by a bit over 3 feet long…  and he got the whole thing for… and I ain't kidding… $5.00!!!!   [For cutting it up for him and the instruction he gifted me with two of the bowl blanks… 8" rounds x 4" thick…  and two goblet blanks about 4"x4"x7"…  so… I've been having way too much fun with my lathe for the last couple days…]

                        Oh… Conal…  a single lucit… or a double lucit???

                        … and then there as the kitchen cabinet project I worked on for a friend…  tear out the old… put in new…  that took two days… nothing goes as planed in a 150 +/- year old house…

                        But… other than the above…  the new year has been pretty boring and laid back…

                        Hey Thomas… I really like your chair project…  I may have to give that a shot myself.  I've been looking at them for some time but that hasn't hit my project sheets yet…  and the web page is cool…  nicely done.  Can't wait to see the finished chair and the plans for it…

                        Chas.

                      • tom@his.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 10, 2003
                          > Hey Thomas. I really like your chair project. I may have to give that a
                          sh> ot myself. I've been looking at them for some time but that hasn't hit my
                          > project sheets yet. and the web page is cool. nicely done. Can't wait
                          to> see the finished chair and the plans for it.

                          I'll share a secret: turned stools and chairs are really easy once you get the
                          hang of it. Until the 16th century, most European turned furniture had really
                          simple profiles, mostly just cylinders with a few decorative rings. You can do
                          a stool with two or three tools, and boring the mortises is really the only
                          part that can get tricky. I noticed last Pennsic that some of the merchants
                          have started to carry turned stools (overpriced, in my opinion), so maybe their
                          popularity will rise. I'm particularly fond of the triangular pieces because
                          they fell out of fashion in the 17th century, and thus clearly look different
                          than modern furniture. Some of the period four-post stuff looks not much
                          different than what you can find around many modern kitchen tables.

                          Tom
                          R.

                          This message was sent from webmail.his.com.
                          http://www.his.com/
                        • Joseph Hayes
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 10, 2003
                            > So what are the rest of you up to?

                            Feeling bad for not working on anything and trying to decide if I want
                            to enter A&S after I've sworn not to...

                            <nasty apprentice mode on>

                            For the Midrealmers, I know you can enter A&S and request commentary
                            only. Can you enter and request scores only?

                            <nasty apprentice mode off>

                            Ulrich

                            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 10, 2003

                              > Oh. Conal. a single lucit. or a double lucit???

                              yes... both

                              =====

                              http://mailplus.yahoo.com