Unhappy Editorial concerning Dewalt

  • Mark Flebotte
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2004
      I personally prefer Ridgid or Milwaukee tools, I have a Delta shaper and a Delta plainer but neither have beenn set up yet (still in the box) which is ok since I only picked them up last weekend anyways. I've had 4 dewalt tools and all of them were junk and have since been replaced. 3 of them were corded and then there is the cordless drill which works great but is a case of it's going to be a cold day before I use it again. A couple years ago I get a letter from Dewalt saying that they are recalling the charger for my 12volt drill and a local address to take the old charger into. So I take the charger in and they take it away and tell me they will have the new one for me in 2-3 weeks (at the time I was hanging drywall in the new 4000sqft office complex I built and really needed the drill). So 3 weeks later I get a call saying my new charger is in, I pick it up and open the case to find it has a new special feature to remove memory from dewalt batteries, so I charge up the first of the two dead batteries and go back to work and the battery that used to last  1+ hours hanging drywall no last about 5 minutes, hmm that's odd so I try the second battery when it comes off the charger and the same thing happens. I called Dewalt and asked about the problem and was told they would look into it for me, a week later they tell me I need new batteries and give me a price for them, I pointed out the problem didn't start until I used there new replacement charger and I was again told where I could purchase replacement batteries and what suggested retail is. So I packed the lot of it up and put it away and I have never used it since.

          On a side note the Ridgid table saw works wonders, it's very heavy and takes 2 people to move but I used it for all of the cutting when I built my office/shop including making all of the window trim/ door trim/ baseboards with it. I have a molding bit set for it and used it to make all of the decorative trims in the building.

      Mark