Re: [medievalsawdust] Another spinning wheel with flyer

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
      <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:
      > I've been doing some surfing trying to find pictures of a period
      > treadle spining-wheel. I foound a document titled, "Wool and
      > Wool-Based Textiles in the West European Economy, c.800 - 1500:
      > Innovations and Traditions in Textile Products, Technology, and
      > Industrial Organisation." It's at
      > http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/ecipa/archive/UT-ECIPA-MUNRO-00-
      > 05.pdf

      In this same document, I also found a reference to an early wheel with
      flyer in "a drawing by Lucas van Leyden". Actually, it's a woodcut and
      it's another hand-cranked wheel. I've posted a copy here:
      http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/Lucas_van_Leyden.jpg

      It's title is "The Young Woman at the Spinning Wheel" and it dates to
      1513. It comes from the book "Pieter Bruegel the Elder and Lucas van
      Leyden" by Jacques Lavalleye.

      Ulrich

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com