Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Treadle lathe (attn Tom Rettie)

  • Brian D. Murphy
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
      Yes we were talking about turning/bow saws. In fact, it was my research on
      bow saws that led me to those images :) The one I'm working on is a
      different shape, but I'll probably be making several, and somewhere in there
      I intend to try one that more closely conforms to the hausbuch
      illustrations.

      Oh, and sorry about that blank post a minute ago. Still working on my first
      cup of coffee.

      Bran

      Bran Du ap Dafydd
      http://www.stcarol.org

      > Hmmm, weren't we talking about a saw like the one in the picture in the
      > Mendel Housebook at the below site. According to the website this would
      > date it about 1425
      >
      > http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/011.jpg
      >
      > --
      > YIS,
      >
      > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      > Privateer to the Midrealm

    • Joseph Hayes
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
        <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:
        > I've been doing some surfing trying to find pictures of a period
        > treadle spining-wheel. I foound a document titled, "Wool and
        > Wool-Based Textiles in the West European Economy, c.800 - 1500:
        > Innovations and Traditions in Textile Products, Technology, and
        > Industrial Organisation." It's at
        > http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/ecipa/archive/UT-ECIPA-MUNRO-00-
        > 05.pdf

        In this same document, I also found a reference to an early wheel with
        flyer in "a drawing by Lucas van Leyden". Actually, it's a woodcut and
        it's another hand-cranked wheel. I've posted a copy here:
        http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/Lucas_van_Leyden.jpg

        It's title is "The Young Woman at the Spinning Wheel" and it dates to
        1513. It comes from the book "Pieter Bruegel the Elder and Lucas van
        Leyden" by Jacques Lavalleye.

        Ulrich

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com