Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Treadle lathe (attn Tom Rettie)

  • Brian D. Murphy
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
      From: "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@...>
      To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 7:13 AM
      Subject: Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Treadle lathe (attn Tom Rettie)

      > Hmmm, weren't we talking about a saw like the one in the picture in the
      > Mendel Housebook at the below site. According to the website this would
      > date it about 1425
      >
      > http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/011.jpg
      >
      > --
      > YIS,
      >
      > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      > Privateer to the Midrealm
      >
      > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      > ...Take time to dance in the rain...
      >

      > >From: "Brian D. Murphy" <bmurphy@...>
      > >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
      > >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Treadle lathe (attn Tom Rettie)
      > >Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:50:58 -0600
      > >
      > >Ulrich wrote:
      > >

      > > > If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
      > > > published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."
      > > >
      > > > Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
      > > > Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
      > > > us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.
      > >
      > >Just a side note. If you're interested in a copy of this one, there is a
      > >seller on eBay listing them for about half the list price:
      > >
      > >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1979132699
      > >
      > >I grabbed one a while back and found several useful illustrations in it.
      > >There is one particularly nice drawing that includes several pavilions,
      for
      > >example.
      > >
      > >This housebook is different than the Mendel Housebook (Das Hausbuch der
      > >Mendelschen Zwölfbrüderstiftung zu Nürnberg), isn't it? Tom has an image
      > >of
      > >a turner from this source on his web site. I'd love to have a copy of
      this
      > >one too, but there are several scans from it online at:
      > >
      > >http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/m_inh.htm
      > >
      > >...simple drawings, but some great illustrations of hand tools in use.
      > >
      > >Bran
      > >
      > >Bran Du ap Dafydd
      > >http://www.stcarol.org

    • Brian D. Murphy
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
        Yes we were talking about turning/bow saws. In fact, it was my research on
        bow saws that led me to those images :) The one I'm working on is a
        different shape, but I'll probably be making several, and somewhere in there
        I intend to try one that more closely conforms to the hausbuch
        illustrations.

        Oh, and sorry about that blank post a minute ago. Still working on my first
        cup of coffee.

        Bran

        Bran Du ap Dafydd
        http://www.stcarol.org

        > Hmmm, weren't we talking about a saw like the one in the picture in the
        > Mendel Housebook at the below site. According to the website this would
        > date it about 1425
        >
        > http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/011.jpg
        >
        > --
        > YIS,
        >
        > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        > Privateer to the Midrealm

      • Joseph Hayes
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
          <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:
          > I've been doing some surfing trying to find pictures of a period
          > treadle spining-wheel. I foound a document titled, "Wool and
          > Wool-Based Textiles in the West European Economy, c.800 - 1500:
          > Innovations and Traditions in Textile Products, Technology, and
          > Industrial Organisation." It's at
          > http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/ecipa/archive/UT-ECIPA-MUNRO-00-
          > 05.pdf

          In this same document, I also found a reference to an early wheel with
          flyer in "a drawing by Lucas van Leyden". Actually, it's a woodcut and
          it's another hand-cranked wheel. I've posted a copy here:
          http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/Lucas_van_Leyden.jpg

          It's title is "The Young Woman at the Spinning Wheel" and it dates to
          1513. It comes from the book "Pieter Bruegel the Elder and Lucas van
          Leyden" by Jacques Lavalleye.

          Ulrich

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com