RE: [medievalsawdust] Re: Treadle lathe (attn Tom Rettie)

  • Ted Kocot
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 12, 2002
      > If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
      > published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."
      >
      > Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
      > Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
      > us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.

      Ooooo. Ooooo. I have a copy of that! Work flew me to Austria last year
      so that by day I could see a flourecently lit lab and by night I could see
      the outsides of lots of cool things that were locked tight at night.

      The London layover was my idea. ;) Anyhow, I picked up a copy at the
      Victoria and Albert. I'll try and check it out tonight.

      Avery
    • Brian D. Murphy
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 12, 2002
        Ulrich wrote:

        > If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
        > published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."
        >
        > Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
        > Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
        > us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.

        Just a side note. If you're interested in a copy of this one, there is a
        seller on eBay listing them for about half the list price:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1979132699

        I grabbed one a while back and found several useful illustrations in it.
        There is one particularly nice drawing that includes several pavilions, for
        example.

        This housebook is different than the Mendel Housebook (Das Hausbuch der
        Mendelschen Zwölfbrüderstiftung zu Nürnberg), isn't it? Tom has an image of
        a turner from this source on his web site. I'd love to have a copy of this
        one too, but there are several scans from it online at:

        http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/m_inh.htm

        ...simple drawings, but some great illustrations of hand tools in use.

        Bran

        Bran Du ap Dafydd
        http://www.stcarol.org
      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
          Hmmm, weren't we talking about a saw like the one in the picture in the
          Mendel Housebook at the below site. According to the website this would
          date it about 1425

          http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/011.jpg

          --
          YIS,

          Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
          Privateer to the Midrealm

          Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
          ...Take time to dance in the rain...

          >From: "Brian D. Murphy" <bmurphy@...>
          >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Treadle lathe (attn Tom Rettie)
          >Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:50:58 -0600
          >
          >Ulrich wrote:
          >

          > > If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
          > > published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."
          > >
          > > Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
          > > Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
          > > us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.
          >
          >Just a side note. If you're interested in a copy of this one, there is a
          >seller on eBay listing them for about half the list price:
          >
          >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1979132699
          >
          >I grabbed one a while back and found several useful illustrations in it.
          >There is one particularly nice drawing that includes several pavilions, for
          >example.
          >
          >This housebook is different than the Mendel Housebook (Das Hausbuch der
          >Mendelschen Zw�lfbr�derstiftung zu N�rnberg), isn't it? Tom has an image
          >of
          >a turner from this source on his web site. I'd love to have a copy of this
          >one too, but there are several scans from it online at:
          >
          >http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/m_inh.htm
          >
          >...simple drawings, but some great illustrations of hand tools in use.
          >
          >Bran
          >
          >Bran Du ap Dafydd
          >http://www.stcarol.org

        • Brian D. Murphy
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
            > Hmmm, weren't we talking about a saw like the one in the picture in the
            > Mendel Housebook at the below site. According to the website this would
            > date it about 1425
            >
            > http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/011.jpg
            >
            > --
            > YIS,
            >
            > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
            > Privateer to the Midrealm
            >
            > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
            > ...Take time to dance in the rain...
            >

            > >From: "Brian D. Murphy" <bmurphy@...>
            > >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
            > >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Treadle lathe (attn Tom Rettie)
            > >Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:50:58 -0600
            > >
            > >Ulrich wrote:
            > >

            > > > If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
            > > > published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."
            > > >
            > > > Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
            > > > Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
            > > > us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.
            > >
            > >Just a side note. If you're interested in a copy of this one, there is a
            > >seller on eBay listing them for about half the list price:
            > >
            > >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1979132699
            > >
            > >I grabbed one a while back and found several useful illustrations in it.
            > >There is one particularly nice drawing that includes several pavilions,
            for
            > >example.
            > >
            > >This housebook is different than the Mendel Housebook (Das Hausbuch der
            > >Mendelschen Zwölfbrüderstiftung zu Nürnberg), isn't it? Tom has an image
            > >of
            > >a turner from this source on his web site. I'd love to have a copy of
            this
            > >one too, but there are several scans from it online at:
            > >
            > >http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/m_inh.htm
            > >
            > >...simple drawings, but some great illustrations of hand tools in use.
            > >
            > >Bran
            > >
            > >Bran Du ap Dafydd
            > >http://www.stcarol.org

          • Brian D. Murphy
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
              Yes we were talking about turning/bow saws. In fact, it was my research on
              bow saws that led me to those images :) The one I'm working on is a
              different shape, but I'll probably be making several, and somewhere in there
              I intend to try one that more closely conforms to the hausbuch
              illustrations.

              Oh, and sorry about that blank post a minute ago. Still working on my first
              cup of coffee.

              Bran

              Bran Du ap Dafydd
              http://www.stcarol.org

              > Hmmm, weren't we talking about a saw like the one in the picture in the
              > Mendel Housebook at the below site. According to the website this would
              > date it about 1425
              >
              > http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/011.jpg
              >
              > --
              > YIS,
              >
              > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
              > Privateer to the Midrealm

            • Joseph Hayes
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
                <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:
                > I've been doing some surfing trying to find pictures of a period
                > treadle spining-wheel. I foound a document titled, "Wool and
                > Wool-Based Textiles in the West European Economy, c.800 - 1500:
                > Innovations and Traditions in Textile Products, Technology, and
                > Industrial Organisation." It's at
                > http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/ecipa/archive/UT-ECIPA-MUNRO-00-
                > 05.pdf

                In this same document, I also found a reference to an early wheel with
                flyer in "a drawing by Lucas van Leyden". Actually, it's a woodcut and
                it's another hand-cranked wheel. I've posted a copy here:
                http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/Lucas_van_Leyden.jpg

                It's title is "The Young Woman at the Spinning Wheel" and it dates to
                1513. It comes from the book "Pieter Bruegel the Elder and Lucas van
                Leyden" by Jacques Lavalleye.

                Ulrich

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com