RE: [medievalsawdust] Re: Treadle lathe

  • Avery
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 11, 2002
      >Oops, sorry! I saw the subject and must have skipped over the message
      >body. The "spinning wheel" I know of, appears to be a hand-cranked
      >machine (check out:
      >http://www.ihot.com/~pkarsten/PhyllisFiber/CottonTutorial/LnrdoSpin.gif).

      Yep, that's the one I was thinking of.

      >It get lots of attention because of the introduction of the flyer.

      I have read that, while DaVinci often gets credit for the flyer, it predated
      him. Wish I could remember where.

      What is really different about this design is the pair of gears in the back
      that moves the flier in and out, thereby automating the little series of
      hooks you see on most wheels. I don't know if I've ever seen a wheel that
      did that, though.

      Avery
    • Joseph Hayes
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 11, 2002
        --- Avery <avery@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone know when treadle spining-wheels became common?

        Hi all,

        I've been doing some surfing trying to find pictures of a period
        treadle spining-wheel. I foound a document titled, "Wool and
        Wool-Based Textiles in the West European Economy, c.800 - 1500:
        Innovations and Traditions in Textile Products, Technology, and
        Industrial Organisation." It's at
        http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/ecipa/archive/UT-ECIPA-MUNRO-00-05.pdf

        In the section on Saxony spinning wheels, it says, "Formerly dated to
        c.1530 and attributed to Meister J�rgen of Brunswick, Lower Saxony,
        this new spinning wheel has since been found, almost fully evolved, in
        late fifteenth-century drawings (in Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch of
        Waldburg-Wolfegg, Lake Constance, c.1475-80; and in Leonardo da Vinci's
        Codice Atlantico, c.1490)." (Avery, there's your da Vinci info.)

        If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
        published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."

        Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
        Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
        us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.

        Thanks,
        Ulrich

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Tom Rettie
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 11, 2002
          >Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
          >Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
          >us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.

          Zounds, you guys must be reading my mind. When I saw Avery's post I went
          straight to the catalog for Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch (the original
          toured when it had been disassembled for cleaning and rebinding, with a
          stop in DC. You could even buy leather-bound reproductions, only $1980 a
          copy).

          http://www.his.com/~tom/Images/wheel.jpg

          It is not a treadle wheel however. Nor are the few Elizabethan ones I've
          seen illustrated.

          Still lookin'

          Tom R.

          Tom Rettie tom@...
          http://www.his.com/~tom/index.html
        • Ted Kocot
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 12, 2002
            > If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
            > published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."
            >
            > Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
            > Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
            > us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.

            Ooooo. Ooooo. I have a copy of that! Work flew me to Austria last year
            so that by day I could see a flourecently lit lab and by night I could see
            the outsides of lots of cool things that were locked tight at night.

            The London layover was my idea. ;) Anyhow, I picked up a copy at the
            Victoria and Albert. I'll try and check it out tonight.

            Avery
          • Brian D. Murphy
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 12, 2002
              Ulrich wrote:

              > If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
              > published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."
              >
              > Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
              > Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
              > us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.

              Just a side note. If you're interested in a copy of this one, there is a
              seller on eBay listing them for about half the list price:

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1979132699

              I grabbed one a while back and found several useful illustrations in it.
              There is one particularly nice drawing that includes several pavilions, for
              example.

              This housebook is different than the Mendel Housebook (Das Hausbuch der
              Mendelschen Zwölfbrüderstiftung zu Nürnberg), isn't it? Tom has an image of
              a turner from this source on his web site. I'd love to have a copy of this
              one too, but there are several scans from it online at:

              http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/m_inh.htm

              ...simple drawings, but some great illustrations of hand tools in use.

              Bran

              Bran Du ap Dafydd
              http://www.stcarol.org
            • Dan Baker
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
                Hmmm, weren't we talking about a saw like the one in the picture in the
                Mendel Housebook at the below site. According to the website this would
                date it about 1425

                http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/011.jpg

                --
                YIS,

                Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                Privateer to the Midrealm

                Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                >From: "Brian D. Murphy" <bmurphy@...>
                >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Treadle lathe (attn Tom Rettie)
                >Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:50:58 -0600
                >
                >Ulrich wrote:
                >

                > > If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
                > > published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."
                > >
                > > Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
                > > Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
                > > us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.
                >
                >Just a side note. If you're interested in a copy of this one, there is a
                >seller on eBay listing them for about half the list price:
                >
                >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1979132699
                >
                >I grabbed one a while back and found several useful illustrations in it.
                >There is one particularly nice drawing that includes several pavilions, for
                >example.
                >
                >This housebook is different than the Mendel Housebook (Das Hausbuch der
                >Mendelschen Zw�lfbr�derstiftung zu N�rnberg), isn't it? Tom has an image
                >of
                >a turner from this source on his web site. I'd love to have a copy of this
                >one too, but there are several scans from it online at:
                >
                >http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/m_inh.htm
                >
                >...simple drawings, but some great illustrations of hand tools in use.
                >
                >Bran
                >
                >Bran Du ap Dafydd
                >http://www.stcarol.org

              • Brian D. Murphy
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
                  > Hmmm, weren't we talking about a saw like the one in the picture in the
                  > Mendel Housebook at the below site. According to the website this would
                  > date it about 1425
                  >
                  > http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/011.jpg
                  >
                  > --
                  > YIS,
                  >
                  > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                  > Privateer to the Midrealm
                  >
                  > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                  > ...Take time to dance in the rain...
                  >

                  > >From: "Brian D. Murphy" <bmurphy@...>
                  > >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                  > >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Treadle lathe (attn Tom Rettie)
                  > >Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:50:58 -0600
                  > >
                  > >Ulrich wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
                  > > > published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."
                  > > >
                  > > > Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
                  > > > Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
                  > > > us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.
                  > >
                  > >Just a side note. If you're interested in a copy of this one, there is a
                  > >seller on eBay listing them for about half the list price:
                  > >
                  > >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1979132699
                  > >
                  > >I grabbed one a while back and found several useful illustrations in it.
                  > >There is one particularly nice drawing that includes several pavilions,
                  for
                  > >example.
                  > >
                  > >This housebook is different than the Mendel Housebook (Das Hausbuch der
                  > >Mendelschen Zwölfbrüderstiftung zu Nürnberg), isn't it? Tom has an image
                  > >of
                  > >a turner from this source on his web site. I'd love to have a copy of
                  this
                  > >one too, but there are several scans from it online at:
                  > >
                  > >http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/m_inh.htm
                  > >
                  > >...simple drawings, but some great illustrations of hand tools in use.
                  > >
                  > >Bran
                  > >
                  > >Bran Du ap Dafydd
                  > >http://www.stcarol.org

                • Brian D. Murphy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
                    Yes we were talking about turning/bow saws. In fact, it was my research on
                    bow saws that led me to those images :) The one I'm working on is a
                    different shape, but I'll probably be making several, and somewhere in there
                    I intend to try one that more closely conforms to the hausbuch
                    illustrations.

                    Oh, and sorry about that blank post a minute ago. Still working on my first
                    cup of coffee.

                    Bran

                    Bran Du ap Dafydd
                    http://www.stcarol.org

                    > Hmmm, weren't we talking about a saw like the one in the picture in the
                    > Mendel Housebook at the below site. According to the website this would
                    > date it about 1425
                    >
                    > http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/011.jpg
                    >
                    > --
                    > YIS,
                    >
                    > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                    > Privateer to the Midrealm

                  • Joseph Hayes
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
                      <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:
                      > I've been doing some surfing trying to find pictures of a period
                      > treadle spining-wheel. I foound a document titled, "Wool and
                      > Wool-Based Textiles in the West European Economy, c.800 - 1500:
                      > Innovations and Traditions in Textile Products, Technology, and
                      > Industrial Organisation." It's at
                      > http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/ecipa/archive/UT-ECIPA-MUNRO-00-
                      > 05.pdf

                      In this same document, I also found a reference to an early wheel with
                      flyer in "a drawing by Lucas van Leyden". Actually, it's a woodcut and
                      it's another hand-cranked wheel. I've posted a copy here:
                      http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/Lucas_van_Leyden.jpg

                      It's title is "The Young Woman at the Spinning Wheel" and it dates to
                      1513. It comes from the book "Pieter Bruegel the Elder and Lucas van
                      Leyden" by Jacques Lavalleye.

                      Ulrich

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com