RE: [medievalsawdust] Re: Treadle lathe

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 10, 2002
      --- Ted Kocot <avery@...> wrote:
      > Actually, I was thinking of his spinning wheel,

      Oops, sorry! I saw the subject and must have skipped over the message
      body. The "spinning wheel" I know of, appears to be a hand-cranked
      machine (check out:
      http://www.ihot.com/~pkarsten/PhyllisFiber/CottonTutorial/LnrdoSpin.gif).
      It get lots of attention because of the introduction of the flyer.

      > Is the lathe in Atlanticus as well?

      I'm 99% sure it is. I'l have to do some digging to confirm.

      Ulrich

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Avery
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 11, 2002
        >Oops, sorry! I saw the subject and must have skipped over the message
        >body. The "spinning wheel" I know of, appears to be a hand-cranked
        >machine (check out:
        >http://www.ihot.com/~pkarsten/PhyllisFiber/CottonTutorial/LnrdoSpin.gif).

        Yep, that's the one I was thinking of.

        >It get lots of attention because of the introduction of the flyer.

        I have read that, while DaVinci often gets credit for the flyer, it predated
        him. Wish I could remember where.

        What is really different about this design is the pair of gears in the back
        that moves the flier in and out, thereby automating the little series of
        hooks you see on most wheels. I don't know if I've ever seen a wheel that
        did that, though.

        Avery
      • Joseph Hayes
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 11, 2002
          --- Avery <avery@...> wrote:
          > Does anyone know when treadle spining-wheels became common?

          Hi all,

          I've been doing some surfing trying to find pictures of a period
          treadle spining-wheel. I foound a document titled, "Wool and
          Wool-Based Textiles in the West European Economy, c.800 - 1500:
          Innovations and Traditions in Textile Products, Technology, and
          Industrial Organisation." It's at
          http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/ecipa/archive/UT-ECIPA-MUNRO-00-05.pdf

          In the section on Saxony spinning wheels, it says, "Formerly dated to
          c.1530 and attributed to Meister J�rgen of Brunswick, Lower Saxony,
          this new spinning wheel has since been found, almost fully evolved, in
          late fifteenth-century drawings (in Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch of
          Waldburg-Wolfegg, Lake Constance, c.1475-80; and in Leonardo da Vinci's
          Codice Atlantico, c.1490)." (Avery, there's your da Vinci info.)

          If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
          published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."

          Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
          Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
          us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.

          Thanks,
          Ulrich

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Tom Rettie
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 11, 2002
            >Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
            >Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
            >us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.

            Zounds, you guys must be reading my mind. When I saw Avery's post I went
            straight to the catalog for Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch (the original
            toured when it had been disassembled for cleaning and rebinding, with a
            stop in DC. You could even buy leather-bound reproductions, only $1980 a
            copy).

            http://www.his.com/~tom/Images/wheel.jpg

            It is not a treadle wheel however. Nor are the few Elizabethan ones I've
            seen illustrated.

            Still lookin'

            Tom R.

            Tom Rettie tom@...
            http://www.his.com/~tom/index.html
          • Ted Kocot
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 12, 2002
              > If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
              > published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."
              >
              > Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
              > Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
              > us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.

              Ooooo. Ooooo. I have a copy of that! Work flew me to Austria last year
              so that by day I could see a flourecently lit lab and by night I could see
              the outsides of lots of cool things that were locked tight at night.

              The London layover was my idea. ;) Anyhow, I picked up a copy at the
              Victoria and Albert. I'll try and check it out tonight.

              Avery
            • Brian D. Murphy
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 12, 2002
                Ulrich wrote:

                > If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
                > published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."
                >
                > Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
                > Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
                > us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.

                Just a side note. If you're interested in a copy of this one, there is a
                seller on eBay listing them for about half the list price:

                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1979132699

                I grabbed one a while back and found several useful illustrations in it.
                There is one particularly nice drawing that includes several pavilions, for
                example.

                This housebook is different than the Mendel Housebook (Das Hausbuch der
                Mendelschen Zwölfbrüderstiftung zu Nürnberg), isn't it? Tom has an image of
                a turner from this source on his web site. I'd love to have a copy of this
                one too, but there are several scans from it online at:

                http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/m_inh.htm

                ...simple drawings, but some great illustrations of hand tools in use.

                Bran

                Bran Du ap Dafydd
                http://www.stcarol.org
              • Dan Baker
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
                  Hmmm, weren't we talking about a saw like the one in the picture in the
                  Mendel Housebook at the below site. According to the website this would
                  date it about 1425

                  http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/011.jpg

                  --
                  YIS,

                  Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                  Privateer to the Midrealm

                  Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                  ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                  >From: "Brian D. Murphy" <bmurphy@...>
                  >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Treadle lathe (attn Tom Rettie)
                  >Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:50:58 -0600
                  >
                  >Ulrich wrote:
                  >

                  > > If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
                  > > published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."
                  > >
                  > > Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
                  > > Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
                  > > us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.
                  >
                  >Just a side note. If you're interested in a copy of this one, there is a
                  >seller on eBay listing them for about half the list price:
                  >
                  >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1979132699
                  >
                  >I grabbed one a while back and found several useful illustrations in it.
                  >There is one particularly nice drawing that includes several pavilions, for
                  >example.
                  >
                  >This housebook is different than the Mendel Housebook (Das Hausbuch der
                  >Mendelschen Zw�lfbr�derstiftung zu N�rnberg), isn't it? Tom has an image
                  >of
                  >a turner from this source on his web site. I'd love to have a copy of this
                  >one too, but there are several scans from it online at:
                  >
                  >http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/m_inh.htm
                  >
                  >...simple drawings, but some great illustrations of hand tools in use.
                  >
                  >Bran
                  >
                  >Bran Du ap Dafydd
                  >http://www.stcarol.org

                • Brian D. Murphy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
                    > Hmmm, weren't we talking about a saw like the one in the picture in the
                    > Mendel Housebook at the below site. According to the website this would
                    > date it about 1425
                    >
                    > http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/011.jpg
                    >
                    > --
                    > YIS,
                    >
                    > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                    > Privateer to the Midrealm
                    >
                    > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                    > ...Take time to dance in the rain...
                    >

                    > >From: "Brian D. Murphy" <bmurphy@...>
                    > >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                    > >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Treadle lathe (attn Tom Rettie)
                    > >Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:50:58 -0600
                    > >
                    > >Ulrich wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > If my translation is correct, "Das Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" was
                    > > > published as "Venus and Mars: The World of the Medieval Housebook."
                    > > >
                    > > > Tom, I've seen your name on several web pages recommending this book.
                    > > > Do you have a copy? If so, can you look up the spinning wheel and let
                    > > > us know what it looks like? Even better if you can scan and post.
                    > >
                    > >Just a side note. If you're interested in a copy of this one, there is a
                    > >seller on eBay listing them for about half the list price:
                    > >
                    > >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1979132699
                    > >
                    > >I grabbed one a while back and found several useful illustrations in it.
                    > >There is one particularly nice drawing that includes several pavilions,
                    for
                    > >example.
                    > >
                    > >This housebook is different than the Mendel Housebook (Das Hausbuch der
                    > >Mendelschen Zwölfbrüderstiftung zu Nürnberg), isn't it? Tom has an image
                    > >of
                    > >a turner from this source on his web site. I'd love to have a copy of
                    this
                    > >one too, but there are several scans from it online at:
                    > >
                    > >http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/m_inh.htm
                    > >
                    > >...simple drawings, but some great illustrations of hand tools in use.
                    > >
                    > >Bran
                    > >
                    > >Bran Du ap Dafydd
                    > >http://www.stcarol.org

                  • Brian D. Murphy
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
                      Yes we were talking about turning/bow saws. In fact, it was my research on
                      bow saws that led me to those images :) The one I'm working on is a
                      different shape, but I'll probably be making several, and somewhere in there
                      I intend to try one that more closely conforms to the hausbuch
                      illustrations.

                      Oh, and sorry about that blank post a minute ago. Still working on my first
                      cup of coffee.

                      Bran

                      Bran Du ap Dafydd
                      http://www.stcarol.org

                      > Hmmm, weren't we talking about a saw like the one in the picture in the
                      > Mendel Housebook at the below site. According to the website this would
                      > date it about 1425
                      >
                      > http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~kochr3/mendel/011.jpg
                      >
                      > --
                      > YIS,
                      >
                      > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                      > Privateer to the Midrealm

                    • Joseph Hayes
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002
                        <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:
                        > I've been doing some surfing trying to find pictures of a period
                        > treadle spining-wheel. I foound a document titled, "Wool and
                        > Wool-Based Textiles in the West European Economy, c.800 - 1500:
                        > Innovations and Traditions in Textile Products, Technology, and
                        > Industrial Organisation." It's at
                        > http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/ecipa/archive/UT-ECIPA-MUNRO-00-
                        > 05.pdf

                        In this same document, I also found a reference to an early wheel with
                        flyer in "a drawing by Lucas van Leyden". Actually, it's a woodcut and
                        it's another hand-cranked wheel. I've posted a copy here:
                        http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/Lucas_van_Leyden.jpg

                        It's title is "The Young Woman at the Spinning Wheel" and it dates to
                        1513. It comes from the book "Pieter Bruegel the Elder and Lucas van
                        Leyden" by Jacques Lavalleye.

                        Ulrich

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com