RE: [MedievalSawdust] Grandps old tools

  • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2004
      A plane is the wrong tool for fast material removal in many cases.
      Depending on the needs, a drawknife is perfect. An experienced user of a
      sharp drawknife with a shave bench can do things that an equally
      experienced someone with a vise and a belt sander could not achieve in
      the same time frame. And the real upside is you don't need a mask to be
      able to breath. Or to keep changing belts to get to something remotely
      resembling a finished surface.

      Obviously a hand tool can be found for everything that our medieval
      counterparts did, as they didn't use power tools. It can take a bit of
      experience to become accomplished with some hand tools, and sharpening is
      probably the most important skill to learn.

      An example of a task we needed to accomplish a couple years ago, we were
      using a tapered spoon bit to make the holes in a set of 3 legged trestle
      tables and needed to taper to the same shape the round wood stock we were
      using for legs. I found that even without a shave horse available, just a
      basic vise on my high bench I was able to taper the ends in a few minutes,
      to the exact radius needed with final tuning and smoothing being done with
      a spoke shave and plane. I also ended up with a double handful of long
      shavings instead of a bucket of dust with a cup of it in my lungs.

      If anyone wants to experience a drawknife, spokeshave and shave bench,
      come down to Budgardr camp at Pennsic and let us put the tools into your
      hands.

      Haraldr

      Bill McNutt said:
      > I will say, though, that if it takes more time to remove stock with a
      belt sander than with a hand plane, you need a coarser grit.

      --
      Haraldr Bassi, Frosted Hills, East
      yahoo at drakkar org